Re: CAN'T FORMAT FLOPPY DISKS

Mark V

Tim Price wrote in
Running WIN2K SP4.

All attempts to format floppy disks, fail. When
format a:
is entered at the Command Prompt, the following message is
returned:

FORMAT is not available for FAT drives.

When attempting to format from Windows Explorer, the
following Message Box is generated:

Windows was unable to complete the format.

Quick versus Full format yields the same result. The
FORMAT command used to function normally but I can't say
for sure at what SP level the problem started.

Have you eliminated a batch of bad diskettes? Dirty drive? Failed
floppy drive? Loose FDD cabling? Swapped the drive for a known-good
one?
These are the usual suspects.

Can you format a diskette from another operating system?

Tim Price