RBN_AUTOBREAK help request

G

I'd like to be able to use this message (RBN_AUTOBREAK) with my rebar control in Windows XP, and I just can't seem to get there. The application I'm working on is a .dll that is loaded by another application.

To start with, the RBN_AUTOBREAK definition in commctrl.h is surrounded by an "#if (_WIN32_WINNT >= 0x0501)". Unfortunately, this is not defined for my application, which includes only windows.h, and commctrl.h! I can just define _WIN32_WINNT as 0x0501 myself, but I'm unsure what other consequences that will have -- there should be a better way. It's also defined in stdafx.h. Unfortunately, I can't use any of the MFC stuff in my DLL, because it requires OLE, and I can't initialise OLE in a DLL (see help for AfxOleInit function). There's also one (_WIN32_WINNT) in winresrc.h -- maybe I should use that. Whatever I need is certainly undocumented in the RBN_AUTOBREAK help, where IMHO, it should be.

Now, beyond that (and assuming I fake the definition of RBN_AUTOBREAK myself), I'm just not getting the RBN_AUTOBREAK notification. According to the MSDN help page on RBN_AUTOBREAK, you need to declare that you want to use common controls verson 6 in a manifest -- so this is probably the issue. I honestly have no idea what version I'm using now, nor do I know how to find out.

Trying to look into that, I look at the help on "Using Windows XP Visual Styles" (I don't actually want to use Win XP Visual Styles, just RBN_AUTOBREAK, but the RBN_AUTOBREAK help points here!), which very nicely has a section called "Using ComCtl32 Version 6 in an Application That Uses Extensions, Plug-ins, or a DLL That Is Brought into a Process". Whee! So far so good!

Only, I really am stumped by the last step (5), which says "Add the manifest to your application's resource file as follows: ". Which windows resource file am I supposed to add this to? My .rc file? I should just go in and manually edit that? Or my resource.h file? Tried that -- it wouldn't compile, unsurprisingly. The line they are asking me to add is "MANIFEST_RESOURCE_ID RT_MANIFEST "YourApp.manifest"
", which parses out to: "2 MAKEINTRESOURCE(24) "YourApp.manifest", which is certainly not valid C/C++ in any form I know.

Maybe the documentation is wrong? Maybe I'm going crazy? Help! I just want to get the RBN_AUTOBREAK message from my rebar control!

W

William DePalo [MVP VC++]

Kaye said:
To start with, the RBN_AUTOBREAK definition in commctrl.h
is surrounded by an "#if (_WIN32_WINNT >= 0x0501)".
Unfortunately, this is not defined for my application, which
includes only windows.h, and commctrl.h! I can just define
_WIN32_WINNT as 0x0501 myself, but I'm unsure what
other consequences that will have -- there should be a
better way.

:) RBN_AUTOBREAK requires at least Windows XP (aka NT v5.1). Now if you can
be sure that your application will never run on an earlier platform you can
either define the token or set it in the IDE.
Only, I really am stumped by the last step (5), which says
"Add the manifest to your application's resource file as follows: ".

If no one responds her you will want to post UI questions in this group:

microsoft.public.win32.programmer.ui

Regards,
Will

Ask a Question