Rather hard macro...

Reaction score
I need a macro that does some stuff which might be impossible (I don't know, so that's why I'm asking!)

Basically I want it to open all the emails in a given folder, copy all their contents, and insert them into an excel file. Possible? Not possible?

If it's possible please give me the code. Thanks.

Reaction score
absoluteley. i just finished a project that does something similar. Mine has to parse the email body, pull out very specific details, and store them in an access database.

the most annoying thing i found was trying to get the EntryID for a given named folder. this function should help (although i'm hoping someone will wade in and say "molly pet, theres a much easier way to do that")

Code:
Function fGetChildFolderByName(objParentFolder As Folder, strFolderName As String) As Folder
Dim intCount As Integer, intFolders As Integer, objOutput As Folder

intFolders = objParentFolder.Folders.Count

For intCount = 1 To intFolders
        If objParentFolder.Folders.Item(intCount).Name = strFolderName Then
            Set objOutput = Outlook.Session.GetFolderFromID(objParentFolder.Folders.Item(intCount).EntryID)
        End If
    Next intCount
Set fGetChildFolderByName = objOutput
End Function

you'll have to feed it the personal folders first, and repeat the process as many times as the destination folder is nested deep. see why i hope ther is a quicker way now?

then you'll need to create an excel object to create your file in. something like;

Code:
Dim appExcel

Set appExcel= Application.CreateObject("Excel.Application")

now, i could sit here for the next hour or so and write out the entire code for you, but I wouldn't dream of stealing the precious moment when handwritten code delivers. that moment is precious.
i've given you some good nudges, if things get a little tricky though, that doesnt mean i'm going to leave you completley in the dark man.

Ask a Question