raster2vector

Rodo

Hello All,

I'm looking for a raster 2 vector program to turn a photograph into a
drawing with smooth lines
Anyone know such a program?

Thanks in advance, Rodo

Susan Bugher

Rodo said:
Hello All,

I'm looking for a raster 2 vector program to turn a photograph into a
drawing with smooth lines
Anyone know such a program?

Some of the apps that have been mentioned in ACF:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php#6.02ConvertRaster(Bitmaps)ToVector

AutoTrace, Ras2Vec, WinTopo

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

wald

Rodo said:
Hello All,

I'm looking for a raster 2 vector program to turn a photograph
into a drawing with smooth lines
Anyone know such a program?

Inkscape is a great open source vector drawing program, and it has a
bitmap tracing function. In the background it relies on poTrace for
doing this, and it gives quite good results.

I warmly recommend it!

http://inkscape.org/

You can use the latest stable release, 0.42.2, but I can tell you
that the development snapshots are quite stable, I use them
regularly without problems: http://inkscape.org/win32-snap/

Regards,
Wald

Vincent

Il /27 ott 2005/, *wald* ha scritto:
Inkscape is a great open source vector drawing program, and it has a
bitmap tracing function. In the background it relies on poTrace for
doing this, and it gives quite good results.

Thanks Wald, I was looking at this thread and Inkscape seems very
interesting, I have to say more than Susan's suggestions
I warmly recommend it!

http://inkscape.org/

You can use the latest stable release, 0.42.2, but I can tell you
that the development snapshots are quite stable, I use them
regularly without problems: http://inkscape.org/win32-snap/

I downloaded inkscape-LATEST.zip and works ... and it's a NO-INSTALL
program, too! I like this!

Thanks again.

wald

Vincent said:
Il /27 ott 2005/, *wald* ha scritto:

Thanks Wald, I was looking at this thread and Inkscape seems
very interesting, I have to say more than Susan's suggestions

Well, Susan's suggestions are more low-level, so if you need to
tweak the vectorizing algorithms, they are the way to go. But for
simple applications, Inkscape does quite a good job.
I downloaded inkscape-LATEST.zip and works ... and it's a
NO-INSTALL program, too! I like this!

It's indeed a very promising open source program. Spread the word!

Wald