Rapid Photo Downloader

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
"Main features

Import your images efficiently and reliably
Rapid Photo Downloader for Linux is written by a photographer for professional and amateur photographers. Its goal is to be the best photo downloader for the Linux Desktop. It is free software, released under the GNU GPL license. "

This looks like a very useful bit of kit. Looks like it only runs on GNU/Linux though.
I'm going to give it a whirl when I get the time and will post the results.

happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'm using a modified 64 bit version of Mandriva Free Dual-Arch and Rapid Photo Downloader 0.0.10 is included in the Software Management list so for me it was a simple one click download and install.

attachment.php

As you can see it shows up in the main menu so no problems there :)

attachment.php

An as you can see it actually loads and runs
nod.gif
unlike some other programs I have tried lately :mad:

attachment.php

From the drop down menu PHOTOS -PREFERENCES you arrive at the above. You can see my choice in the "Image Devices" section, I'm hoping that my Cannon Powershot will be found automatically as it is in digiKam.

attachment.php

No such luck. It did find images on my NTFS partitions but not in my /home partition.I only have one hdd but it is split up into several partitions.

attachment.php

I tried to find the camera manually. Still no joy. Looking in the "media" folder I found,

attachment.php

Exactly the same amount of images as the first search. So I gave up on that idea and disconnected the camera.

attachment.php

An placed the CF card in a reader and looked for it in the program where it duly showed up. I figure that with a bit of tinkering I could get the camera to show up in the RPD program as it is recognised in digiKam but that is for another day.

attachment.php

I must say that this seems like a pretty darn quick program to me as it took less than 10 seconds to download the 200 pictures from my camera.

attachment.php

There is not a great deal else to say about the program as it does not do much apart from download pictures. However it does have lots of niffty features like the backup feature shown above which I think folk will find very useful.

attachment.php

One last word. Shown above are the photos downloaded from the cameras card all neatly placed in date order folders. The neat thing is I downloaded two of those folders the day before and RPD recognised this and did not duplicate or mess up the download it simply added the two new folders.

Now that is what I call a really neat program
nod.gif
Does what it says on the tin
nod.gif
Only does the one job but does it really well
nod.gif

If only all programs were like that
laughingsmiley.gif

Attachments

• rapid.jpg
    rapid.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 582
  • rapid1.png
    rapid1.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 582
  • rapid2.png
    rapid2.png
    90.9 KB · Views: 577
  • rapid3.png
    rapid3.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 611
  • rapid4.png
    rapid4.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 618
  • rapid5.png
    rapid5.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 548
  • rapid6.png
    rapid6.png
    97.7 KB · Views: 574
  • rapid8.png
    rapid8.png
    126.2 KB · Views: 579
  • rapid9.png
    rapid9.png
    94.6 KB · Views: 607
  • rapid10.png
    rapid10.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 575
Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Just a little addition.

As I have all my partitions on one hdd I did a search from"File System"

attachment.php

As you can see the picture count went up. This final total includes the pictures from my "/home" which were not picked up when searching from "Media".

attachment.php

I don't think this behaviour will bother the average user but it is worth noting.

happywave.gif

Attachments

• AAA1.png
    AAA1.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 559
  • AAA.png
    AAA.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 587

Ask a Question