raid vs network performance

Folkert Rienstra

kony wrote in news:[email protected]
And? It doesn't change that I have systems with RT8169
which achieve more than 25MB/s.

Some, certainly with a few Via chipsets which had poor PCI
bandwidth that was choking data flow to the NIC. As for
pure chipset - NIC interactions, it is very rare and even
more often attributable to an OS problem rather than
mainboard problem.

Most can at least use 4K frames if not 7-9K. The majority
of networking equipment will pass more than 1.5K.

Many of us did buy a chipset or two that had this problem,
but by midway into the Pentium 3 era, it was mostly reserved
to Via chipsets as Sis had then covercome it. Intel had
great PCI throughput much further back, I can't put my
finger on exactly when it was more than 80MB/s but certainly
by the 440LX/P2 era, and probably before that.

Yes, I mistyped 30MB/s.
Yep, but wouldn't that have been obvious by my prior statements?

Actually it just casts some doubt on whether you are just another babble-head, just like the babblebot.

Who is the undisputed king of spelling errors and typos btw.

Oh, and you're likely to end up in babblebot's killfile now too.

kony

Eric Gisin wrote in news:[email protected]

Then silly you.

Even sillier you.

No, if one is spending a lot of money these days on a
hardware RAID card, and the drives for it, it'd be a bit
foolish to run that on a 32bit, 33MHz PCI bus.

Even motherboard integrated SATA RAID betters that for
*free*. While I don't like depending on any certain
motherboard chipset for data storage, todays drives have now
made PCI insufficient for maximum performance... not just
from the drives in an isolated benchmark, but also
considering the odds there are other PCI devices in use
concurrently at least some of the time. Years ago, these
devices may have been lower bandwidth, but today's (for
example) Creative Labs sound cards or gigabit NICs leave a
lot of competition for bandwidth.

kony

Actually it just casts some doubt on whether you are just another babble-head, just like the babblebot.

Who is the undisputed king of spelling errors and typos btw.

I confess, I do make a lot of typing errors.
If it bothers you too much, just ploke me.

Oh, and you're likely to end up in babblebot's killfile now too.

Boo hoo?

Somehow I'll get by.

Folkert Rienstra

Arno Wagner wrote in news:[email protected]
Hehe, Folkert still does not get it.

Oh, yes he does.
Why ever would I killfile you?

The same reason you killfiled me and everyone else that shows you off
clueless, time after time.
You just have not killfiled him because he lives in another group that
you don't live in.
We may disagree, but that is not an issue.

So babblebot, why then exactly do you have such a well filled killfile?
It's a personal thing then, right?

CJT

kony said:
No, if one is spending a lot of money these days on a
hardware RAID card, and the drives for it, it'd be a bit
foolish to run that on a 32bit, 33MHz PCI bus.

There are other "flavors" of PCI.

kony

kony wrote in news:[email protected]

Apparently not a very good reader either.
Obviously I referred to the babblebot, not you.

Perhaps, but you correct them before sending, unlike the babblebot.

Hahaha, you obviously have not read many of my posts. I
almost never correct any typing or spelling errors because I
don't reread posts nor run a spell checker and rarely even
sit close enough to my monitor to even read what I typed.

Anyone who has a problem with that can just plonk me, but I
realize you are just trolling at this point.

Folkert Rienstra

kony wrote in news:[email protected]
Hahaha, you obviously have not read many of my posts.

Guess not then.
I almost never correct any typing or spelling errors because
I don't reread posts nor run a spell checker and rarely even
sit close enough to my monitor to even read what I typed.

Ok, so you are just another babblehead then. Thanks for clearing that
up. So Kony, are you the Arno Wagner of your group. Interesting.
Anyone who has a problem with that can just plonk me,

Plonking is for little children who can't stand the heat, like the babblebot.
Who would get a nervous breakdown if they get confronted with their stu-
pidity all the time.
but I realize you are just trolling at this point.

And you're obviously not.