Raid 5

Reaction score
Hi guys can anyone help me with raid 5. I have a server with 6 hard drive. It is set to two raid 5. First three hard drive with raid 5 and second three hard drive with another raid 5. One raid 5 has OS on it and second raid 5 has file and folders. I am running out of space on second raid 5 (one with files and folder). I am trying to take these three hard drive and replace with bigger one. I am not comfortable to do without asking someone that has done before.
My question, when i change the hard drives do i have to do anything to set the raid 5 or it automatically takes it?
Please let me know if this doesn't make sense. I know sometime it is hard to explain what one is thinking.

Thanks

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You will need to configure the new RAID 5 setup as the hard disks will be different model numbers and different sizes.

You will have to go into the RAID setup when booting the server (there willl be a prompt at POST, look for it or look in the manual, the commands vary a lot between motherboards) where you will be able to select your new disks and configure them for a RAID setup.

Presumably you'll want to transfer the data from the existing setup to the new one, have you considered how you're going to do this yet?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. You mean to say backing up all the data from current hard drives? Well we do everyday backup to our tapes. That part i am not much worried about.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
PC Craze said:
Thanks for the reply. You mean to say backing up all the data from current hard drives? Well we do everyday backup to our tapes. That part i am not much worried about.

Just looking out for you ;)

Good luck :)

Reaction score
Thanks i might be coming back at this post again so don't think you are done with me. Anyway I will post anything i find out

Reaction score
I didn’t want this post to not have a conclusion, so I thought I would put something in.
Just to let you guys know that we ended up purchasing a new server. I know I am sorry to disappoint the entire viewer searching for a solution to similar problem.
We decided to go with new server because this server was getting old and SCSI hard drive is expensive anyway.

Reaction score
I used RAID 5 for around 5 minutes earlier this month.

It's a complete pain for replacing disks and so forth, so we just dumped it and went straight up to RAID 10.

Best advice I can give if you got a new server.

Just the performance dip on RAID 5 if a drive fails is ridiculous, you lose around 80% disk performance from the array while a disk rebuilds, which could take hours upon hours.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
my mate has a server that we built and he used RAID 5 for a while then changed to RAID 6, i think shortly after 2 of his drives died and it took 2 or 3 days to rebuild the array!! :eek:

Ask a Question