Quick way for monthly linking of Excel sheets

Reaction score
Hi all,

Basically, each month, we are given a protected Excel template (with some unlocked cells), for us to insert certain values into the template spreadsheet. The format of the template enough month is usually about the same. However certain important data and values (that are protected) are different.

The values that must be inserted are linked from other sources files, and these files are changed each month. (e.g. MX0412 for April, MX0512 for May, and so on)

This spreadsheet is password protected and there is no way that we will be provided with said password to unlock the spreadsheet.

Hence, the whole process is now done manually and is painfully inefficient.

Because this spreadsheet is protected, I am faced with the following restrictions:

• I can't update the links automatically through (Edit --> Links, for Excel 2003)
  • I can't use the "Replace" function to replace specific phrases in the links (e.g. replace all "MX04" to "MX05")
Therefore, I'm pretty stuck and can't think of a way to make this whole process more efficient. It would be immensely appreciated if someone would be kind enough to shed some light on this!

Thank you in advance!

P.S. I'm not entirely clear what macro is, so if your ingenious solution contains macro, I would be forever grateful if you could provide a more detailed explanation. Thanks!

Ask a Question