Questions about refresh rate of 1080p LCD screen

Roy

Hello group
With the advent of 3D capable laptops/ desktop replacement system
what is the actual refresh rate for typical full HD screen( 1920 x
1080).?
Does higher resolution implies higher refresh rate...?
If this is so does it mean that any current notebook fitted with core -
i7 intel chip, 64 bit and huge ram( 8gig average) with 1 gig of
graphics memory can still display and play 3D video and games
respectively...?

Roy

Brian Cryer

Roy said:
Hello group
With the advent of 3D capable laptops/ desktop replacement system
what is the actual refresh rate for typical full HD screen( 1920 x
1080).?
Does higher resolution implies higher refresh rate...?
If this is so does it mean that any current notebook fitted with core -
i7 intel chip, 64 bit and huge ram( 8gig average) with 1 gig of
graphics memory can still display and play 3D video and games
respectively...?

No. Refresh rates for LCD displays are typically 50 or 60Hz. Unlike a CRT
you don't need a high refresh rate to make the picture look steady, because
with an LCD display pixels are either on or off - whereas with a CRT the
picture needed to be repainted repeatedly or it would disappear.

It would be nice if my 1920x1080 monitor would display 3D but I know for a
fact that it doesn't support a high enough refresh rate.

Now, if the display is branded as 3D capable then that's a different story
as I think that does require the refresh rate to be 100Hz or 120Hz.

Hope this helps.

Roy

No. Refresh rates for LCD displays are typically 50 or 60Hz. Unlike a CRT
you don't need a high refresh rate to make the picture look steady, because
with an LCD display pixels are either on or off - whereas with a CRT the
picture needed to be repainted repeatedly or it would disappear.

It would be nice if my 1920x1080 monitor would display 3D but I know for a
fact that it doesn't support a high enough refresh rate.

Now, if the display is branded as 3D capable then that's a different story
as I think that does require the refresh rate to be 100Hz or 120Hz.

Hope this helps.

There is an intereting article here about such ...Is there anything
useful you can glean from these...?
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/3d_showdown_8_3d_notebooks_and_monitors_reviewed
Roy

Paul

Roy said:
There is an intereting article here about such ...Is there anything
useful you can glean from these...?
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/3d_showdown_8_3d_notebooks_and_monitors_reviewed
Roy

Between the GPU of the laptop and the LCD panel, they don't have to follow any public
standards for graphics. If they need extremely high bandwidth connections, they
can find a way, and not tell us how it's done. The connection from panel to
motherboard inside a laptop, is probably some variant of LVDS
(low voltage differential signaling) for example.

If you wanted to send a signal external to a computer, it is carried over
VGA, DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort, as some examples of standards. Those are
public standards, so both senders and receivers, have to adhere to some
standard way of doing things.

The data rate necessary to carry a connection, is proportional to the
pixel dimensions of the sent signal (i.e. 1920 x 1080 = 2073600).
The third factor, is the refresh rate, or the number of times per second
the screen is redrawn. Ordinary LCD panels work at 60Hz, with technical
capability extending to 72Hz or so on cheap panels. The chemistry probably
prevents them from going much faster. 60Hz on an LCD panel, works better
than 60Hz on a CRT, due to better persistence characteristics, so 60Hz is
perfectly adequate for usage on LCD.

The 120Hz panels are another level of tech. I'm not sure what difference
exists to get to 120Hz, whether it's a more extreme form of voltage
overdrive, or different chemistry. But in any case, the display is
refreshed more frequently.

Before there was 3D on LCD, some monitors enabled 120Hz operation for the
purposes of a better quality display. There was some deal about making a
"seamless 3:2 pulldown" or some-such. 120/24FPS movies is an integer. By
interpolating frames, you get flicker free movies. This irritates some
people, and they can't stand running a 120Hz capable monitor at 120Hz
and watching movies on it. Other people love the visual effect. It's
like the difference between afternoon soap operas that are recorded
on film (flicker), versus recorded digitally on a camcorder (smooth).

A second usage for 120Hz, is for doing 3D. Using either shutter glasses,
or classical movie theater red:green glasses, you can enjoy 3D content.

OK, so where is the potential issue ? If you had an LCD monitor external to
the laptop, and it was 120Hz capable, you need enough bandwidth to
cover the width x height x refresh x bits_per_pixel.

(scroll down half way)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi

HDMI 1.4 supports 340MHz clock rates. 340MHz times 10 bits per clock, is
roughly 3400Mbit/sec on each of the red, green, and blue differential pairs
of the HDMI cabling. From that, comes the bandwidth to support
width x height x refresh etc. You need to meet the bandwidth requirement
of the display, to use that display mode.

The table on that page, claims HDMI 1.4 can support 1920×1200p60 at 48bpp.
Now, if you double the frame rate, and halve the bpp, then 1920×1200p120 at 24bpp
should be possible. 24bpp is eight bits for red, eight bits for green,
eight bits for blue, and is normal for non-dithered color LCD displays.
48bpp (high color) is overkill. Cheap LCD panels (like the one on my laptop)
are 18bpp, and temporal dither in the color space to represent in-between colors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither

"Some LCDs may use temporal dithering to achieve a similar effect.
By alternating each pixel's color value rapidly between two approximate
colors in the panel's color space, a display panel which natively
supports 18-bit color (6 bits per channel) can represent a 24-bit
"true" color image (8 bits per channel)."

So sending a 3D signal from a laptop to an external monitor should be possible,
as the standard seems to have the bandwidth for it.

And as far as the laptop display itself is concerned, they can use
as many wires as it takes, to get a high bandwidth signal to the panel.
The cabling doesn't have to use HDMI, it could use some other flavor
of LVDS if required.

*******

The width x height of the panel, is an independent factor from the refresh rate.
Width x height x refresh_rate x bits_per_pixel tells you what bandwidth in
megabits per second is needed to run the display.

To give another obscure example, a certain high resolution display existed
years ago, but was not in wide circulation.

(3840×2400 IBM T220)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_T220/T221_LCD_monitors

"Single, double, and quad-link support 13, 25, 41 Hz refresh rates respectively."

Some video cards, when driving something like that, use sub-60Hz refresh
rates. It means the user gets to enjoy "paper like" display quality, of
200DPI, but with motion artifacts. You can't really play games on a
display like that, because the refresh is too low.

I believe one scheme to drive that monitor, involved using four video card
outputs, each one driving a quarter of the screen. But there may also have
been attempts to drive it with a single GPU. And in that case, a much
lower refresh (GPU limited) would be used. So refresh is an independent
factor, which may be limited by the hardware to a value lower than you
might like.

But at least in my example in the previous section, it looks like HDMI 1.4
could allow something like 1920×1200p120 at 24bpp if you had an external
monitor capable of that. The GPU, the cabling/communications standard, and the
external LCD monitor, all have to support the rate, for it to work as
described.

*******

The CPU to drive such activities, is an entirely separate question.
Sure, I could use my old Celeron 300 processor, but my video or games
might only update the screen once per second. Some modern GPU chips,
have some movie decoding capabilities. So at least for movie playback,
the computing may not be done entirely on the CPU. Some of it is
done on the GPU.

To give an example of that, I did some Adobe Flash testing. On an older
version of Flash, playing a certain movie in full screen mode, takes
40% CPU. On the newest Flash, where upscaling is done on the video card
GPU, the CPU needed to play the same movie, dropped down to nothing (single
digit percentages). Depending on the situation, you don't always
need a Core i7.

HTH,
Paul

Roy

The data rate necessary to carry a connection, is proportional to the
pixel dimensions of the sent signal (i.e. 1920 x 1080 = 2073600).
The third factor, is the refresh rate, or the number of times per second
the screen is redrawn. Ordinary LCD panels work at 60Hz, with technical
capability extending to 72Hz or so on cheap panels. The chemistry probably
prevents them from going much faster. 60Hz on an LCD panel, works better
than 60Hz on a CRT, due to better persistence characteristics, so 60Hz is
perfectly adequate for usage on LCD.

How about th

Roy

This is a complex issue, and I think that some of the answers you've been
given are misleading.  As far as the CPU is concerned, an image is justdata
in memory. The more complex the image - size, colour gamut, etc - the more
CPU processing is required to create the image. GPUs can lighten the CPU
load considerably.

That addresses what you call Resolution. Refresh rate is something else and
I think that what you are really asking about is Frame Rate ( Read no
further if I'm wrong ;-}} ). The number of unique images required per second
will affect CPU load. This number is defined by how smooth you want any
action to be and again, tasking can be transferred to the GPU.  My point is
that whilst more resolution and more images per second means more
processing, more resolution does NOT automatically require more images tobe
built.  Think about a high resolution still!

What is normally meant by Refresh Rate is how does the relevant display
technology work.  Both the old and new technologies are dynamic
technologies, which meant that they cannot hold an image long enough to
appear not to flicker.  How they do it has not been anything to do withthe
computer's CPU for about 50 years, which is why I'm guessing that by refresh
rate you really meant frame rate!

The above is just a very brief summary.  Hope it helps

PA

Hmm...I was trying to find out if the current crop of HIDEF
screen( 1080p) is capable of 3D performance and would my new unit
can do so.....
and having rate more about refresh rate than frame rate in the links I
posted made to conclude that the major issue for 3D performance is
refresh rate and not frame rate......
As I did not see from the information that frame rate is that
significant for 3D performance....

Roy

Paul

Roy said:
Gosh this google groups posting is so buggy.....! keeps loading by
itself ...

Anyway what I want to know if my current unit the vaio z 128gg is
capable for at least 120hz refresh rate knowing Sony usually is
renown for high performance LCD screen?
A description from here might give some ideasl
http://www.india-server.com/laptops/features/sony-vaio-vpcz128ggxq-449.html

Roy

Actually, the information posted on one of the Sony sites is more interesting
than the india-server.com site.

http://www.sony-asia.com/product/vpcz128gg

It's got four SSD drives in RAID0, so it has a fast storage internally.

The screen is 1920x1080 with LED backlight. There is no statement about
the refresh rate limitations of the panel. If they aren't stated,
normally you would assume 60Hz (i.e. usual cheap TFT panel).

"Depending on system environment, you may find sound interruptions and/or
dropped frames during AVC HD playback." [Hmmm, really...]

"Dynamic Hybrid Graphics system (need to reboot for changing the
speed /stamina mode, and auto mode turns to speed mode after downgraded)"

The GPU solution is a hybrid, with the more powerful GPU being
the Nvidia GT 330M. (There are two GPUs, and you enable the Nvidia
one when you want the most performance.) The specifications here,
are not sufficient to determine how powerful it is.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gt_330m_us.html

This helps a bit more.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-330M.22437.0.html

"The GT330M supports the hardware decoding of HD videos using the
integrated PureVideo HD engine. The integrated VP4 video processor
is able to fully decode H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2, and MPEG-4 ASP (e.g., DivX, xVID).
Hardware decoding of MPEG-1 encoded videos is not supported, but this
can be handled by every CPU without high load. In conjunction with
an Core i5-520M, the GT 330M decoded H.264 with 1-6%, VC1 in 5-10%,
and WMV with 3-9% CPU load (1080p over HDMI on a Sony Vaio Z11)."

Now, that doesn't tell us anything about other performance benchmarks.
Apparently, to make movie playback more challenging, some sites
benchmark CPU loading, when the movie playback software is doing
Picture In Picture (PIP). And that is the equivalent of decoding
two movies at the same time. And that would also be roughly equivalent
to decoding one movie at 120Hz. So if you can find benchmarks for
GT 330M doing PIP when playing movies, that may be a better indication
of whether it has enough horsepower.

Apparently, one of the Macbook Pro laptops, uses the GT 330M. Here,
the users are having problems getting the laptop to run at 120Hz
(while driving an external monitor capable of 120Hz display).

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12131209

The panel in the Sony laptop *probably* doesn't run at 120Hz. If the laptop
has the words "3D TV" or similar in the product description, it *might*
have a better panel, and be capable of such. The Sony site doesn't
give enough info to determine whether the built-in panel runs at 120Hz.

If you try to use an external 120Hz monitor, as I described in my previous
post, you need a graphics output connector on the laptop, which is capable
of supporting it. An HDMI 1.4 interface might be able to do it. But
you'd still need to convince the GT 330M to operate at 120Hz refresh.

The Sony information, doesn't state what HDMI standard the laptop offers.
If the GPU used an integrated HDMI output, then we could check the Nvidia
site, but it doesn't state what HDMI standard the GT 330M supports. If
the GPU used an external HDMI transmitter chip, then we would again be
dependent on Sony to state the HDMI standard used. Nobody states
the HDMI level of the laptop!

The NVidia site has a page dedicated to 3D movie playback. For some
reason, they draw a distinction between playing a movie from a Bluray
disc, versus playing a movie from the hard drive. The GT 330M is in the
list.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-requirements.html

"[3] Blu-ray 3D movie playback with connection to an HDMI 1,4
3D TV is possible with NVIDIA drivers Release 260"

There are plenty of suggestions as to what might work, but absolutely
no facts to work with!

So either the LCD panel of the laptop is 120Hz capable. If it is not,
you'll need an external 120Hz monitor (see the Nvidia page for a list
of monitors). The GT 330M may have enough horsepower to play Blu-ray 3D,
as stated on the Nvidia page. (The statement about AVC HD I quoted
earlier, may be an example of a movie format that only the CPU can
handle. When GPUs decode movies, they don't support every possible
format, so some formats are not accelerated in playback.)

Questions like this are never easy to answer. The same thing happens,
when someone is interested in buying an HTPC computer for home
theater applications, and there is no way to figure out whether it
plays the movies smoothly or not.

Good luck (because luck is what you need),
Paul

peter

?The refresh rate is the number of times a display's image is repainted or
refreshed per second. The refresh rate is expressed in hertz so a refresh
rate of 75 means the image is refreshed 75 times in a second.

The display resolution of a digital television or display device is the
number of distinct pixels in each dimension that can be displayed. As an
example
1920x1080.

On a HD Monitor its the refresh rate that gives it the 3D
capabilities.........120Hz.
Simply put that is 60hz for each eye with the "special" glasses.
Considering the age of your laptop I doubt it has the capabilities

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.
to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :)

Roy said:
[...]

Thanks for that information paul....
I might have to ask more information from sony vaio forums...maybe
they have more ideas for this specific units ...
Roy

Roy

?The refresh rate is the number of times a display's image is repainted or
refreshed per second. The refresh rate is expressed in hertz so a refresh
rate of 75 means the image is refreshed 75 times in a second.
On a HD Monitor its the refresh rate that gives it the 3D
capabilities.........120Hz.
Simply put that is 60hz for each eye with the "special" glasses.
Considering the age of your laptop I doubt it has the capabilities

peter

My laptop is still new , about few months old and its the only 13
inch ( that I am aware of) that has a full HD Capability (1920 x1080)
plus having 4 SSD at Raid 0 configuration.

That is why I was thinking that with such good performance then there
is a possibility for tasks that I did not imagine before could be
possible.( such as 3D display of videos)..
I am planning even to swap the DVD writer witha blu ray drive....as
its compatible...

Roy

Brian Cryer

Gosh this google groups posting is so buggy.....! keeps loading by
itself ...

Google groups is an issue which comes up every now and then in other
newsgroups. In general you will get a better experience using a newsreader
client on your PC than google groups. If you are using Windows then Windows
Mail will do, although I'm sure there are better ones out there. Its also
more likely that your post will be visible to others as I know some people
who filter out all google group postings as a way of eliminating spam.