question on AM2 vs 939 socket

Reaction score
Am I getting this right that the major difference between 939 and AM2 is the use of DDR2 memory?

In intel's case the use of DDR2 memory did not result in significant performance gain and assuming same to be true for AMD, why would anyone want to upgrade from 939 to AM2? Especially, since the AM2 based processors have the same clock speed as 939... what gives
icon9.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Welcome to the "Numbers Game" one of my all time favorite games. :D

Yes, it is true ... :thumb:

The old DDr2 was abysmal, even the new stuff looks crap on paper ... but don't worry too much until you need to 'upgrade' or buy a new PC ... then re-evaluate

There are 'gamers' here still using Win98 and that OS doesn't have a clue what to do with a modern PCs components ... even XP has trouble.

It is the way Hardware is moving ... out with the old, in with the new ... so when it comes for you to get a little more oomph out of your system, you have to buy a new one ... great game, innit. :D

Hardware is moving and advancing very quickly ... software, as usual, is playing catch up.

user.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My view is AM2 is only a minor step forward for AMD.

Although Socket 939 systems are being phased out in favour of AM2, sckt 939 systems still best buy atm, if you can find them to buy.

Best upgrade right now is Intel Conroe 6600 chip, which really amazes me. But it be true.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Alf said:
so whats ur advice Mucks? :D
I'm afraid to say ... I agree with Floppy. :eek:

If you want a new "games" PC now, go get an Intel 6600 Duo

I see nothing coming out of the AMD camp that can touch it, and, I think AMD are just as surprised as Intel is. :D

Me, I'm always a year or so behind in what I buy ... my next 'upgrade' will probably be an x2, as I already have the MB, and some more ram for Vista. ;)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
If you want a new "games" PC now, go get an Intel 6600 Duo

I see nothing coming out of the AMD camp that can touch it, and, I think AMD are just as surprised as Intel is. :D

Really? well, looks like i have some reading to do!

Ask a Question