Question about Windows Explorer

Bruce Chambers

javawizard said:
Is there a way in Vista to see the cut, copy & paste icons that used
to be visible in Explorer under Windows XP?
Thanks,
- Jeff
www.odd-info.com

What icons? Either right-click and make your choice, or simply
high-light the file/locate and press Ctrl-C or Ctrl-V accordingly.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

John Smith

Bruce Chambers said:
What icons? Either right-click and make your choice, or simply high-light
the file/locate and press Ctrl-C or Ctrl-V accordingly.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
Russell

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

He's talking about the buttons on the toolbar that Windows Explorer used to
have before Vista, until someone decided that all of us who preferred using
the toolbar were obviously wrong and it was removed. The WE toolbar is one
of many long-time features removed in Vista that forces us to change the way
we work without it really being "better". I like Vista overall but the new
Windows Explorer really *sucks*.

Bruce Chambers

John said:
He's talking about the buttons on the toolbar that Windows Explorer used
to have before Vista, until someone decided that all of us who preferred
using the toolbar were obviously wrong and it was removed.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

You know, even with 8+ years of using WinXP almost everyday, I had
never even noticed those icons (well, except for the Red X for "delete")
until you mentioned it, and I booted up a WinXP virtual machine to
double-check. Odd.

As to your being considered "obviously wrong" for using that tool-bar,
I can't speak. I do see, however, that using said tool-bar would
require additional mouse clicks, and therefore be less efficient.
Perhaps that's why it was dropped.

The WE
toolbar is one of many long-time features removed in Vista that forces
us to change the way we work without it really being "better". I like
Vista overall but the new Windows Explorer really *sucks*.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with this assessment, I'm afraid.
With the exception of that toolbar, the changes from WinXP's Explorer to
Vista's Explorer are almost entirely cosmetic. I do find that Vista's
"bread crumb" path address bar is a by far superior navigation tool,
once one gets used to it, when compared to WinXP's more cumbersome
"Back" and "Up" buttons.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Donald Lessau

John Smith said:
I like Vista overall but the new Windows Explorer really *sucks*.

That's why there are better ones. Actually MS is supporting a little
industry of "Alternative File Manager" or "Explorer Replacement" makers.

For my part I'm happy that "Windows Explorer really *sucks*"...

Don (maker of XYplorer -- http://www.xyplorer.com)

John Smith

Comments below.

You know, even with 8+ years of using WinXP almost everyday, I had never
even noticed those icons (well, except for the Red X for "delete") until
you mentioned it, and I booted up a WinXP virtual machine to double-check.
Odd.

As to your being considered "obviously wrong" for using that tool-bar, I
can't speak. I do see, however, that using said tool-bar would require
additional mouse clicks, and therefore be less efficient. Perhaps that's
why it was dropped.

"obviously wrong" = sarcasm ;-)

The toolbar actually saves clicks - sometimes - like when deleting a file.
Instead of right-clicking on the file and finding "delete" on the menu, you
just click on the "delete" button on the toolbar. And when copying, it is
sometimes easier to keep my hand on the mouse and click the copy button than
doing a control-C or the right-click and search for "copy".

I'd have to respectfully disagree with this assessment, I'm afraid. With
the exception of that toolbar, the changes from WinXP's Explorer to
Vista's Explorer are almost entirely cosmetic. I do find that Vista's
"bread crumb" path address bar is a by far superior navigation tool, once
one gets used to it, when compared to WinXP's more cumbersome "Back" and
"Up" buttons.

The problem with the Vista address bar is when the folder names are fairly
long and I know I only want to go up one or two levels and they aren't
displayed there. It's something that just took me a little time to get used
to.

My biggest and most painful problems with the Vista WE start with the folder
views. I don't want it to remember each folder's view and it always does -
and none of the fixes I've seen here or elsewhere have worked. And it still
crashes all the time. And there are a LOT of problems with the folder
navigation pane that have driven me crazy - like the files listed in the
right pane aren't always the ones in the folder highlighted in the
navigation pane. It doesn't update when you collapse a folder or use the
arrow keys to navigate.

Other than that, it's OK. ;-)

John Smith

Donald Lessau said:
That's why there are better ones. Actually MS is supporting a little
industry of "Alternative File Manager" or "Explorer Replacement" makers.

For my part I'm happy that "Windows Explorer really *sucks*"...

Don (maker of XYplorer -- http://www.xyplorer.com)

Yes, I'm beginning to try some replacement programs since everyday tasks
have become so much of a problem in Vista WE. Your link is bookmarked.