Question about DVI and dual monitors

Gregg Hill

Hello!

I want to have two identical Acer AL1917 LCD displays set up as their own
views, and not just a clone. I bought an AGP card with one DVI and one VGA
connector, and when I hook up the displays, the one connected to the VGA
output is FAR less bright than the DVI one, even at max contrast and
brightness. Backgrounds are grey, menu bars are brown instead of grey, etc.

I now want to hook up both to DVI, and I have Googled a little bit and found
references to DVI splitter cables to use with dual monitors. Which is
better, using one DVI output split into two DVI, or buy a dual-DVI card?

Can a dual-display setup work off of one DVI that is split, and still give
independent views? Or would that only work to clone the primary screen to
the secondary screen?

Thank you for your help!

Gregg Hill

Patrick Keenan

Gregg Hill said:
[...]

If you split a single signal, all of the devices that recieve it show the
same images. In other words, you will lose the ability to extend the
desktop, and it doesn't sound like this is what you wanted.

Swap the cables between the two displays to determine if the display quality
is related to the displays themselves, or the video card. You may find
that you have to replace some defective hardware.

HTH
-pk

Gregg Hill

Although not mentioned, I had already swapped to be sure it was not the
displays themselves. Yes, I do want to extend the desktop and not clone it,
so it looks as though I am off to find a dual-DVI card.

Thank you for the input!

Gregg Hill

mikeyhsd

personally I prefer the dual DVI card.

currently use ATI HD 2900 XT.

works great.

(e-mail address removed)

"Gregg Hill" <greggmhill at please do not spam me at yahoo dot com> wrote in message Hello!

I want to have two identical Acer AL1917 LCD displays set up as their own
views, and not just a clone. I bought an AGP card with one DVI and one VGA
connector, and when I hook up the displays, the one connected to the VGA
output is FAR less bright than the DVI one, even at max contrast and
brightness. Backgrounds are grey, menu bars are brown instead of grey, etc.

I now want to hook up both to DVI, and I have Googled a little bit and found
references to DVI splitter cables to use with dual monitors. Which is
better, using one DVI output split into two DVI, or buy a dual-DVI card?

Can a dual-display setup work off of one DVI that is split, and still give
independent views? Or would that only work to clone the primary screen to
the secondary screen?

Thank you for your help!

Gregg Hill

Snapper

Patrick Keenan wrote...
Swap the cables between the two displays to determine if the display quality
is related to the displays themselves, or the video card. You may find
that you have to replace some defective hardware.

I have two PCs here that drive twin monitors. One is connected to DVI, the other
VGA dsub. On both PCs we cannot see any difference in video quality. In fact,
it's impossible to tell which is DVI connected. Yet they tell us that DVI is
superior to analog.

I'd agree with your suggestion. Might be a crappy monitor or perhaps a faulty
cable. Or the card itself. But swapping them over will definately indicate if
this is a problem.

I'd take the card back and get one with twin DVI outputs.