Query design in an .ACCDR file? (couple questions)

Reaction score
Maybe my Google-fu is off today or something, but I'm having the toughest time finding documentation on query design/modification within an .ACCDR file. I saw one post on another message board stating queries (and other objects) are read-only in an ACCDR file, but that's it. I can't find any documentation to back it up.

What's happening to me is when I open a query in design mode (using VBA command DoCmd.OpenQuery "theQuery", acViewDesign), the window will open but I cannot see anything (see attached screenshot as an example). I also have no menus or right-click context menus, other than a context menu that appears if I right-click on the tiny square near the "Field" column. That menu only gives me navigation options (Left Edge, Right Edge, Page Left/Right, Scroll Left/Right).

(1) Can anyone confirm the info in my first paragraph with a link to "official" documentation?
(2) Is the description in my second paragraph expected behavior?
(3) I think I know the answer, but is there any way to get around #2 so as to allow me to design a query using only the Access Runtime engine?

Many thanks
Ryan

Screenshot:

querydesign.gif

Ask a Question