quadruple layer Blu-ray disc!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Think thats a bit of a way off at the moment we haven't even got round to using DL dvd's yet because they are still too expensive and limited in supply...;)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
it says 2007 so its a long wait but the discs will be worth it i reckon

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for standard blu-ray disks to become mainstream, as yes they will be great for backing up.

One thing that bothers me though is the amount of storage we're all using. - A few years back we could fit an entire OS, and all the files we wanted to save on a 2GB HDD, now anywhere between 80GB and 200GB is commonplace, with some users using much more. So, by 2007 the chances are we'll all be needing to back up multiple terrabytes of our files.
While a 100GB disk may seem mammoth today, we still don't have access to the technology, and when we do by 2007, it simply won't be enough!

Reaction score
I read up on this about 3 years ago. Interesting I thought, however on the cost side I think to buy one disk is gonna be very very expensive.
More useful for business's than personal use at first. However rewriteable disks were if i remember correctly in the region of about £15 each when they were released for home user. Blu-ray will be superb for home recording however!

As for the commercial use of blu-ray well i guess we'll have to wait and see. I think they will be definately used in games there will be a massive amount of FMV/CGI sequences depending on the popularity and budgets. And hopefully within the next 10years or so the earllier stages of holographic technology will start to make a showing, they could also be used for this. Put all this together with Sony's patented visual projected Laser technology that they recently required I think the future may well be very bright.

Ask a Question