Q: Using a Magnetised Screwdriver on a Motherboard

Mitch_A

Ed <[email protected]> said:
Is that show still on? , haven't watched it in a long time!

My IBM deskstar that died after 6 months and the replacement drive I got
died in 8 hours,(yes 8 hours), so I tore it apart, there was a magnet
inside and it is a *very* strong one, makes a hell of a fridge magnet!

Ed

Very similar experience with both my IBM drives except both the repl drives
from Hitachi lasted nearly a month and the RMA process took nearly 3 months.
After doing the math IBM and Hitachi both ****ed me hard.

Mitch

Joined
Feb 23, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
There's nothing on the motherboard that could be affected by a magnetic
screwdriver. The only thing that might possibly be affected would be the
hard drive, but the magnetic field strength of a screwdriver should be far
too low to do any harm.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from (e-mail address removed)

"Eyman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Im about to remove my A7N8X Deluxe motherboard from my computer case to
> install a heatsink fan.
>
> Ive typically been using a standard non magnetised screwdriver in the
past,
> but am thinking about using a magnetised screwdriver to remove and
install
> the motherboard in and out of the case.
>
> I know static electricity is a danger but will the manget effect of the
> screwdriver stuff up my A7N8X Delkuxe?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Eyman

Im sure if the bios connectors on the motherboard were to make contact with a magnatised screwdriver the bios would short out and reset, there is also a slight risk of shorting out a cpu chip if any of the pins were to make contact with the 'magnatised screwdriver'. If the cpu chip was to be shorted out by static electricity that cpu chip would be 'dead'.

Last edited:
Joined
Feb 23, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Using a magnetic screwdriver is a risk. If the screwdriver makes contact with the bios connectors,The bios will reset, also if a static discharge were to occur to the cpu chip resulting in it shorting out, that chip woud be dead, and could be costly to replace.