Q: CF Requirements (5 Simple Questions)

Chris

We are trying to decide whether to use .Net CF for a PPC 2003
implementation. If someone could assist me with the following questions, I
would greatly appreciate it as I'm having some trouble pinpointing exact
answers.

1. To develop in .Net CF, is it required we use Visual Studio .Net 2003?
We currently have last years Studio .Net Architect (Version 7.0.9). Will we
not be able to use this?

2. Is the .Net CF included on the device ROM already for PPC2003 devices,
meaning they will run .Net apps without a runtime installation?

3. I read from MS that the .Net CF will also work on PPC2002 devices. It
is a requirement that we support both 2002 and 2003 devices. Are PPC2002
devices supported (even if the CF needs to be installed)?

4. Will performance on a 300mhz/64mb device be noticeably worse using .Net
CF vs. eVC++4?

5. Is .Net CF / dev tools in full release, or is it still in Beta?

Thanks a lot,
Chris

Chris Tacke, eMVP

1. To develop in .Net CF, is it required we use Visual Studio .Net 2003?
We currently have last years Studio .Net Architect (Version 7.0.9). Will we
not be able to use this?

You must have Studio 2003 Pro or better. There are inexpensive upgrades
($29 I think) for Studio 02 owners.
2. Is the .Net CF included on the device ROM already for PPC2003 devices,
meaning they will run .Net apps without a runtime installation?

It is in ROM on all PPC 2003 devices, though it is the RTM, not SP1
3. I read from MS that the .Net CF will also work on PPC2002 devices. It
is a requirement that we support both 2002 and 2003 devices. Are PPC2002
devices supported (even if the CF needs to be installed)?

The CF works on all PPC devices, 2000, 2002 or 2003. As for "required" it
depends on what you mean. For a "built for PPC" logo, yes, though few apps
have the logo cert that I've seen.
4. Will performance on a 300mhz/64mb device be noticeably worse using ..Net
CF vs. eVC++4?

That depends greatly on what you're doing.
5. Is .Net CF / dev tools in full release, or is it still in Beta?

They've been full release since Studio 2003 was released.

Bardak

Answers are below:
--------------------
From: "Chris" <[email protected]>
Subject: Q: CF Requirements (5 Simple Questions)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:05:55 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework

We are trying to decide whether to use .Net CF for a PPC 2003
implementation. If someone could assist me with the following questions, I
would greatly appreciate it as I'm having some trouble pinpointing exact
answers.

1. To develop in .Net CF, is it required we use Visual Studio .Net 2003?
We currently have last years Studio .Net Architect (Version 7.0.9). Will we
not be able to use this?

You need to use VS.NET 2003 professional and beyond. You can get an upgrade
from VS 2002 to 2003 at nominal cost.

2. Is the .Net CF included on the device ROM already for PPC2003 devices,
meaning they will run .Net apps without a runtime installation?

yes, .NET CF is part of Windows Mobile 2003 ROM image.

FYI, .NET CF V1.0 SP1 is already released and there are specific cases
(read the release notes) that will require updading the FX in PPC devices
(bug fixes).
3. I read from MS that the .Net CF will also work on PPC2002 devices. It
is a requirement that we support both 2002 and 2003 devices. Are PPC2002
devices supported (even if the CF needs to be installed)?

PPC 2002 and PPC 2003 are supported.
In some PPC 2002 devices (rom update 5), .NET CF is installed in ROM ( for
instance the ViewSonic V37 device).
4. Will performance on a 300mhz/64mb device be noticeably worse using .Net
CF vs. eVC++4?

It depends what you are doing. .NET CF applications are JITted, thus their
startup time is typically longer. The actual execution of code should be at
par.
5. Is .Net CF / dev tools in full release, or is it still in Beta?

.NET CF tools are VS.NET 2003 which is a released tool (for some time).

Chris

Thanks a lot for your responses- some clarification below:
The CF works on all PPC devices, 2000, 2002 or 2003. As for "required" it
depends on what you mean. For a "built for PPC" logo, yes, though few apps
have the logo cert that I've seen.

No logo required, just functionality. This is for an in-house
implementation.
That depends greatly on what you're doing.

We'd be building a form application (C#) that queries a SQL CE database, as
well as implements merge replication with a SQL 2000 database for data
synchronization. Forms will allow for user input which will eventually be
replicated up to the database via Active Sync. (ie. Maximum of 5 forms, SQL
CE querying to populate the form templates and store user input, merge
replication).

That being said, would we notice a performance hit on a 300mhz / 64mb
device?

Thanks again-
Chris

Chris