Putting a Snippet of Text in a Cell

DeeDeeCee

This question may by very basic, I don't know.

I'd like to tally a column of cells to arrive at a total. I know how to do
that with the autosum feature. So far, so good.

BUT... because of the layout of my table, I don't have room to put the word
"total" in the cell just to the left, which I would like for quickly
identifying the cell that has the total. Is there a feature where I can
format the cell to include the word "Total:" in it, and then put the numeric
total right after it with the auto-sum feature (so that when entries in the
column change, the total adjusts)?

Thanks in advance. DDC

Jim Cone

You can enter this in the total cell (it becomes text)...
="Total "&SUM(C5:C18)

-or-

Format the total cell as...
"Total "#,##0.00
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"DeeDeeCee"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
This question may by very basic, I don't know.

I'd like to tally a column of cells to arrive at a total. I know how to do
that with the autosum feature. So far, so good.

BUT... because of the layout of my table, I don't have room to put the word
"total" in the cell just to the left, which I would like for quickly
identifying the cell that has the total. Is there a feature where I can
format the cell to include the word "Total:" in it, and then put the numeric
total right after it with the auto-sum feature (so that when entries in the
column change, the total adjusts)?

Thanks in advance. DDC

DeeDeeCee

Thanks. The first one worked. 2 follow-up questions, if I may:

1. The auto-sum option works pretty well, but though the numbers in the
columns have xx.00 in the formatting, the Total only shows as xx. (no
decimals)--unless one of the entries had some pennies, in which case it will
show up. This is obviously not a deal-breaker, but is there a way to get the
..00 to show up in the auto-sum result as well?

2. The second one didn't work--the "total, the #'s, and the 00's just
appeared in the cell. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong, and can you explain
what feature/technique this is (to improve my understanding of Excel?).

Thanks in any case for the solution.

ddc

Max

Q1. Use TEXT to format it, eg:
="Total "&TEXT(SUM(C5:C18),"#,##0.00")

Q2. Suppose you have this formula in say D5: =SUM(C5:C18)
You can format D5 via Format>Cells>Custom
then in the "Type"box, enter: "Total "#,##0.00
It'll then display in D5 as: Total 55.00 (for example, assuming the SUM = 55)
The underlying value in D5 remains a number (55) so you can easily continue
downstream calcs on D5 if needed.
--
Max
Singapore