Protection removed by copying

David

I have created a workbook with password protected sheets
and protected workbook but when I copy the sheets into a
new workbook the protection is removed. This kind of
defeats the objective of password protection doesn't it?.
How can I preserve the protection so that when a user
copies a sheet using either Edit/Copy or Ctrl+C the
protection is retained or it is possible to disable the
copy command?
David

Ron de Bruin

Hi David

If you copy the whole sheet to a new workbook the protection remain
But not if you copy only the cells to a other workbook
How can I preserve the protection so that when a user
copies a sheet using either Edit/Copy or Ctrl+C the
protection is retained or it is possible to disable the
copy command?

You can do this with code but if the user disacle macro's it is not working
There is no Safe way to avoid this

Alan

I don't think you can make the workbook secure. You can disable the Copy >
Paste function, or any other function with VB code, but if the user chooses
to open with macros disabled they can do as they wish.
You can design a sheet so that its useless if macros are not enabled on
opening, as I myself have done, but its only effective with people that
don't have the desire or the knowledge to crack it. Anyone who does will do
so in no time at all.
Basically Excel protection isn't designed for security, more for preventing
mistakes like overwriting a formula with a value etc.

Hi Ron
I am using Excel 2000 and protection does not remain when
I copy whole sheet to new workbook - seems no point in
using protection.
If I insert code that requies a password to open the
workbook can the user disable this?
David