Promise 20265 not recognising IDE disks > 60 Gb

Folkert Rienstra

Neil said:
Hi, on my ECS L7VTA1.1 Motherboard, there are two standard IDE connections,
as well as two Promise connections (IDE3&4) linked to a Promise 20265
Controller. Obviously these can be used for RAID configuring, but I'm not
using RAID at all, and I've used over the past couple of years to just be
able to add another couple of IDE PATA Hard Drives for additional storage
space. On the standard IDE1 & 2 I have a pair of HD;s, and DVD and CD
readers.

That worked fine until now on drives of around 60GB. I've just tried to
upgrade to drives of either 80, 250 or 320 GB, on the 20265 connectors and
they just do not seem to recognise. Those new drives work fine if I put
them on the standard IDE connection; and the 60GB drive works fine still if
on the Promise connection.

Is there some kind of limitation for example, on the size of drive that can
be used
in standard IDE mode on the 20265?

Is there any other mode?

Neil

[...]

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks
Neil

Neil

Folkert Rienstra said:
Which obviously there won't be if the drives aren't seen for
configuration.

I'd suspect in RAID they may recognise, I just don't want to use that.

The previous (smaller) HD's worked fine just as IDE on the Promise
controller.
All I'm seekinhg is if anyone knows of any maximum size limitation that
would explain the problem, or if there's an alternate solution (Except
RAID).

thanks.

Folkert Rienstra

Neil said:
"Folkert Rienstra" (e-mail address removed)> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
I'd suspect in RAID they may recognise, I just don't want to use that.

Yeah, I wouldn't try that. God forbid that you might actually learn something.
That obviously has to be avoided at all cost.
The previous (smaller) HD's worked fine just as IDE on the Promise controller.

Well, you better set the IDE/RAID jumpers correctly on your new drives then.

Neil

I'd suspect in RAID they may recognise, I just don't want to use that.
Yeah, I wouldn't try that. God forbid that you might actually learn
something.
That obviously has to be avoided at all cost.

Well, you better set the IDE/RAID jumpers correctly on your new drives
then.
I asked a simple question - if you don't know the answer, don't reply. But
then life would be even more boring, wouldn't it. Don't bother to reply.
I ain't gonna read any more.