Project Naming, Design, Layout for a windows application

IT@ECommunity

I looked thru the 7+ chapters and Microsoft seems vague. Bascially telling
you to design it so it makes sense. Duh.

Say I have an app that handles processes for the claims, finance and
membership departments.

First MSDN says the project should be.
C:\Projects\MYSystem\MYSolution\MYApp.

What is MySystem exactly. Why can't I find a sample that shows me the
pattern that Microsoft uses to develop in house. One that is in VB.net, no
ASP and using all their naming conventions. Not myForm or myDataGrid.

Should I have a folder for each department, should the folder have sub
folders for each type of document.

For Ex.
MySolution\Claims\Forms
MySolution\Claims\Crystal Reports
MySolution\Finance\Forms
MySolution\Finance\Modules

Thanks,
Phillip

Peter Huang [MSFT]

Hi

I think you design is just OK. The Claims and Finance should be a project,
which will be compiled as a dll or exe.

MySolution\Claims --------Store Claims common class file.
MySolution\Claims\Forms ---------stored forms
MySolution\Claims\Crystal Reports ---------store report

Solutions as Containers
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsintro7/ht
ml/vxconsolutions.asp

Creating Directories for Solutions
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsintro7/ht
ml/vxconsolutiondirectorystructure.asp

Best regards,

Perter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

IT@ECommunity

Should the main form sit in the root project.
This form loads the forms from the different departments via the menu.

So would a porject like internet Explorer look like this

Solution = Internet explorer
Project1 = Browser
Project2 = Favorites
Project3 = Security

I would really like to see an example of a large solution. Where is a VB.net
sample?

Peter Huang [MSFT]

Hi

Based on my understanding, every department will be built as a DLL(each
department as a project). So the MainForm can located in the same level
another folder, which we can build it as the main start project(exe).

There are a few sample in the link below.
Architectural Sample Applications
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnanchor/ht
ml/anch_entdevapparchsamp.asp

Best regards,

Perter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

IT@ECommunity

I tried this and gave up after a couple of hours.

From the description of the duwamish book I thought it was a Windows
application. First thing the install wanted was IIS to be installed, Then I
found out I needed the 1.1 SDK, then the MSDE. The MSDE failed several times
and the log gives me no clue on why.

Can someone just email me a screenshot of their solution Explorer?

Peter Huang [MSFT]

Hi

I reviewed the thread and find that there is a similar issue in the
newsgroup below.Now I have replied to you, you may go and take a look.
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb
Subject: Solution Layout

Best regards,

Perter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

IT@ECommunity

I think you are referring to the thread that got confused as IDE layout.

I gave up. I'll just guess. Seeing as I can't find a VB solution that
doesn't require me to waste a day with installing old SDK, MSDE and IIS to
just see the layout. Our local Microsoft reps hooked us up with a couple MS
Press patterns and practice books. Maybe there is something in there.

Peter Huang [MSFT]

Hi

I am sorry for that.
Since the solution will be a large programming task, it usually including
database even webpage, so after the new release version apprear, the
orginal ones may not be updated in time also to make a such a large
solution sample work we will need do many basic ready job, e.g. the
database, IIS, even the connectionstring. So we provide it as a
installation package which will save the trivial jobs.

If you still have any question, please feel free to post in the newsgroup.

Thanks for your understanding!