programmatically (or otherwise) controling/editing the "Select Names" dialog box

C

Conan Kelly

Hello all,

I'm trying to develop a custom form and rule that will be a work-around to setting up a fax server (our servers don't have modems,
but we have a Win 2K Desktop with one--it also has OL 2002). I have the "To" text box set as read only and the initial value set to
an email address I hope to be able to set up. My train of thought is that employees will have this custom Mail/Message form on
their workstations. This custom form will send all the pertinent fax info to the machine pretending to be a fax server. OL 2002 on
the pseudo-fax server will receive this custom form message and via a "run a script" rule, will create a new standard form email,
copy all of the fax info from the custom form to the appropriate fields in this new email, and then send it to the fax software.

Customizing the standard mail/message form, all I need on it is the "To" field (which will be automatically set to the fax email
address) and a "Fax Recipient" or "Fax To" field, along with the message body and attachments. I do not need "CC" or "BCC". The
thing is, I would like this "Fax To" text box/button combo to work just like the To, CC, & BCC button/text box combos: opening up
the "Select Names" dialog box and allowing me to look up a recipient and populate the Fax To field. Is this possible? Can I
programmatically access the Select Names dialog box? I would like to remove the BCC field/button and change the CC to Fax To.

Another thing, I have the "To" text box pre-set and read only AND I have the "To..." button disabled, yet when I open the Select
Names dialog box (haven't deleted CC yet), I can still add recipients to the To field. I would like to disable this.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly

PS. any feed back on this matter will be greatly appreciated: Am I going about this all wrong? Is there a better way of going
about this (other than doing it the proper way, i.e. installing the modem in the server)? Am I just wasting my time? Thanks again.

S

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Can I programmatically access the Select Names dialog box?

Yes, with CDO 1.21 or, to avoid security prompts, Redemption (http://www.dimastr.com/redemption/). See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/selectnames.htm for sample code.

I wouldn't show the user the To, CC, or Bcc controls at all. You don't need to show them if you're setting To programmatically.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003

and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
Administrators, Power Users, and Developers

Ask a Question