Processor Speeds

Reaction score
Given that the current going rate for an Intel PC processor is around 3Ghz plus, and the manufacturers' are continuing to miraculously exponentially increase this 'headline' statistic year on year, can you give an estimate as to what the typical going rate rpocessor speed will be, 1 year, 2 years & 3 years from now?

My estimate by year:

1: 5Ghz
2: 8Ghz
3: Human brains will disintegrate!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you ever heard of Moore's law before?

It basically means "the number of transistors on integrated circuits (a rough measure of computer processing power) doubles every 18 months.".

Now... following this theory you would be pretty much on the mark! I think perhaps 5Ghz, 8Ghz and then perhaps even a 10Ghz CPU!

Wow... I remember 8Mhz CPUs still being used :eek:

It actually makes me think I will wait a while before upgrading my PC :)

Reaction score
yea good point
but my guess would be that they will come up with something new, they cannont keep upgrading the way they do, they will probably have to re-invent the cpu totally and have them running totally different from now on, because the heat factor keeps popping up with the new cpu's
my guess is the same as urs ian, but the prices will probably go down drasricltly and ppl will prefer to run dual processor motherboards perhaps 2 p4 3.0ghz's :crazy:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
CPU manufacturers are already finding it difficult to keep the speeds rolling on, but they always manage :) There are some very interesting technologies that will appear in the next few years that will increase CPU speeds even more - let just hope they become almost affordable ;)

Reaction score
yea good point, a good p4 can be £300+
way way too high for me, but dont worry. most new technologies will go to the big companies first (so they can test out the buygs :brow: )

Ask a Question