Problems with Windows Live Mail (current version) memory usage

I told Windows Live Mail on my 64-bit desktop to
search an entire newsgroups server account for
posts with "cheap" in the subject line, and it took
about half an hour to get past the startup of the
Find Message function. It finally found 999 items
within the approximately 140 newsgroups I
I subscribe to from that server. I'd estimate
that I've already downloaded around 8,000,000
newsgroups posts now in the WLM database,
at least according to the number of items found
during a Norton Internet Security 2010 scan.
No other programs except Windows Task
Manager were running in the foreground of that
computer with 4 CPU cores and 8 GB of
physical memory.

Using the Windows Task Manager to observe
memory usage during this time showed that
over half the memory was cached, but with no
information about what it was cached by, and
with no free memory left.

I have found some information about the Windows
Vista SuperFetch function, but so far not enough
information to identify both all the registry values
controlling it and lists of the alternate values I can
change them to and what they mean.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/09/why-does-vista-use-all-my-memory.html

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2008/04/07/3031251.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/...-vista-superfetch-readyboost.aspx?PageIndex=2

My guess is that most of that machine's performance
problems are due to incorrect settings of the registry
values controlling SuperFetch, but I haven't been
able to find enough documentation of those values
to fully inspect them and decide whether to change
them so that SuperFetch is significantly faster at
releasing memory that it uses. Super Fetch seems
to be much too slow at releasing any memory it uses,
but Windows Live Mail seems to be designed to
try using nearly all of the physical memory or run
quite slowly instead.

Where could I find adequate information on these
registry values?

Also, could the Windows Task Mamager be
updated to clearly show the amount of memory
used by the SuperFetch function?

Robert Miles

Gary VanderMolen

Each message that is searched needs to be scanned by Norton,
which will add considerably to the processing time.
You may want to try a lighter antivirus such as:
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Not sure why you are asking a question about SuperFetch in a
Mail newsgroup. Try a Vista forum such as:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaperformance/threads

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

wrote in message
[...]

...winston

You are beyond the scope of this newsgroup.

You might consider the Windows and Msdn forums.

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail