Problems registering msxml3.dll

G

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me with an infuriating problem with msxml3.dll (SP4) (dll version number 8.40.9419.0). On a plain rebuild (no service packs), the correct version is registered and everything works as normal. I install service pack 1 and it remains properly registered. I install all the critical updates and it is fine. I install SOAP3 (with XML4) and the other SDKs I use (platform SDL, DirectX9 SDK, etc), Visual Studio.Net 2003 Enterprise, Office, etc and it is still fine. However, after installing the recommended updates, it no longer works properly. Specifically, I get errors when I try the platform SDK download page telling me to re-install XML3 SP4. I do this an re-register the dll as instructed, including removing the original language elements (just in case) and it still doesn't work. Also, the recommended updates break any package that relies on msxml3.dll (including the Visual Studio.Net 2003 browser - it complains I'm not connected to the Internet, which clearly I am, otherwise I would not be able to post this message!). It seems to only affect those pages relying on msxml3, e.g., some of the MSDN pages require it to list the contents in frames. The funny thing is, it does not affect the local MSDN help; this works perfectly. I have tried rebuilding my machine umpteen times, re-installing and repairing Visual Studio, re-installing and re-registering XML3 SP4, etc. No joy whatever, it is still broken. I have searched in my local disk to see if I have any other copies of the file hanging around and all registered copies show the same version number. I am unable to identify precisely which recommended update caused the problem and I am loathe to repeat the entire process again as it takes ages

Can someone please tell me what is going on

Best regards
Jim Bannon.

Ask a Question