Problems caused by installing Word 2002?

G

Ever since I installed Microsoft Word 2002 (stand alone version), I've experienced some strange hard drive behavior. I have several partitions on the disk, and I installed Word on one of them. I never gave the installation program permission to install anything on any other partitions, but almost immediately I noticed that every time my Norton Systemworks ran its One Button Checkup, it was spending an inordinate amount of time defragmenting and optimizing my I: drive (partition). l checked the I: drive to see what might be causing all of the activity. I had thought the I: drive was more or less empty, and I was surprised to find a folder called 'Microsoft Office Search Services' residing on it. Since this was essentially the only thing on the drive, it is obviously the cause of my Norton Systemworks' seemingly thrashing about week after week. The only way this folder could have been installed there was by the Microsoft Word 2002 installation program (I have no other Microsoft Office modules).

At about the same time all this was taking place I also noticed that whenever I was not actively interacting with a program, my hard drive, as evidenced by its activity light, seemed to be 'on steroids'--the activity light would constantly blink on at such a furious rate that it almost seemed to be constantly on. This is something I had never seen before. When I attempted to interact by using the keyboard or mouse, the computer's response would be 'sluggish' until the disk's activity light slowly subsided. The computer's response seems sluggish in other ways as well, e.g. when I return to it after having been away for several minutes, it seems to lethargically emerge from some kind of deep sleep, often taking on the order of 15-20 seconds to go from the 'screen saver' to the point where I can begin to operate it again, and subsequent operations seem sluggish for a period of several minutes after that.

Does anyone know what might be going on here? Can you explain it to me, and tell me how I may get things back to 'normal'? Can you explain how something got installed on partition where it did not have my permission to be installed? Any help would be appreciated.

Ask a Question