problem with parameter query

K. Georgiadis

I have created a simple parameter query in the QBE panel
and below is the SQL view generated automoatically by MS
Access:

SELECT BIGLIST.Company, BIGLIST.First_Name,
BIGLIST.Last_name, BIGLIST.Street_Address,
BIGLIST.City_State, BIGLIST.ZipCode,
DONATION_DTL.CheckDate, Sum(DONATION_DTL.Amount) AS
SumOfAmount, DONATION_DTL.Disposition
FROM BIGLIST INNER JOIN DONATION_DTL ON BIGLIST.Cust_id =
DONATION_DTL.Cust_id
GROUP BY BIGLIST.Company, BIGLIST.First_Name,
BIGLIST.Last_name, BIGLIST.Street_Address,
BIGLIST.City_State, BIGLIST.ZipCode,
DONATION_DTL.CheckDate, DONATION_DTL.Disposition
HAVING (((DONATION_DTL.CheckDate) Between [Enter Starting
Date] And [Enter Ending Date]) AND
((DONATION_DTL.Disposition) Like "*DD*" Or
(DONATION_DTL.Disposition)="DD"))
ORDER BY BIGLIST.Last_name, DONATION_DTL.Disposition;

The problem is that I have to enter the Starting and
Ending Dates TWICE before the query will run.
Are there any clues in the above SQL statements or any
other ideas why this might be happening?

I use Access 2002 and Windows XP. Thanks in advance (and
apologies for the long post).

Ken Snell

Is either BIGLIST or DONATION_DTL a query? Does it have the "same"
parameters as this query? Are the parameters spelled exactly the same?

K. Georgiadis

BIGLIST and DONATION_DTL are tables/forms, DONATION_DTL
being a subform within BIGLIST.

--

Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

[...]

.

Ken Snell

A query cannot use a form as the source of data, so your comment confuses
me. You're saying that the two entities are tables as far as the query is
concerned? How are you running the query -- is it being used as the
recordsource for either of the forms?

Please provide much more info about what your setup is and what you're
actually doing.

--

Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

K. Georgiadis said:
[...]

The query in question is based on the two tables that I
have mentionned. However, the tables have a corresponding
form and a subform, to facilitate data entry. Sorry for
the confusion.
[...]

How is the query being run? By you manually opening it? or by some other
method?

--

Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

K. Georgiadis said:
[...]

"K. Georgiadis" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
[...]

The query is run manually; when I double-click on the
file name, the parameter dialog box appears, requesting

wrote in message
[...]

Tom Wickerath

Some things to check:

1.) If you explicitly defined the parameters, make sure you entered them exactly as they are
shown on the criteria row, ie:

[Enter Starting Date] Date/Time
[Enter Ending Date] Date/Time

In query design view, click on Query > Parameters... to explicitly define parameters. I
recommend using copy and paste, to make sure that you have it exactly the same. Also, it is easy
to accidentally get a white space inserted before the parameter in the Query > Parameters...
dialog. This can be hard to see with the eye, and it will result in the "same" parameter being
presented twice. I put the quotes around the word same, because they appear the same when
running the query.

Note: Defining parameters is not required for normal Select queries. However, if you later want
to use this query as the recordsource for a Crosstab query, then you will need to explicitly
define the parameters.

2). Make sure that you have not applied a sort in the query's datasheet view, saved the query,
and then renamed the sort field(s). Access does not correct for this problem. To verify that
you do not have any sorts applied in this manner, click on View > Properties in query design
view. Click in the upper have of the QBE grid. You should see Query Properties in the blue
title bar (not the properties for a field). Verify that you do not have anything showing in the
ORDER BY row of the Query Properties dialog. I recommend always applying sorts in query design
view. Sorts applied in datasheet view do not show up in the SQL statement.

3). Make sure you have disabled Name AutoCorrect (Tools > Options... General Tab).

4). Try pasting the SQL clause you gave into a brand new query. I find that your SQL statement
works as expected. (I created the two tables and added some test data to try it out).

Tom

wrote in message
[...]

PS. In paragraph 2 below, I forgot to mention that if you apply a sort in query datasheet view,
save it, and then rename the query you will end up with the same problem. I suspect that you
will find that your query works just fine if you start with a brand new query, dismiss the tables
dialog without selecting any tables, and paste the SQL statement in in SQL view.

wrote in message
[...]

Tom, thanks for the tips. You may have answered my
question under para (2); I'm fairly certain that at some
point I renamed the original query. I was already
thinking to start from scratch, because the query is so
simple to set up, but I was also very curious to
understand why the problem occurs