Problem with Outlook 2003 and POP/IMAP

J

John

Greetings all,

I have been using POP account (no Exchange) for many years and recently moved to a new email host where I can choose between POP and IMAP. Whether or not I'll use POP or IMAP is determined by the account set up in Outlook. I decided to try IMAP but I have a problem with email I send. Copy of the mail is saved in the original Sent Items folder of the old POP account.
I searched through this news group and read that by default all messages, even IMAP sent messages will be stored in the default Sent Items box.
As suggested by one of the users, I unchecked Save a copy in the Sent Items box, and tried to create a rule that will move a copy of every email that I send to the IMAP Sent folder, however I am getting the following error while creating the rule:

"This folder does not support Unicode. Moving Unicode messages to this folder could cause loss of information. Would you like to continue?"

My questions are:
1. What is Unicode, and what does the above message mean if I choose to do that?
2. Isn't there another way to make sure my Sent IMAP items are stored in the Sent IMAP folder? After all, what's the purpose of having an IMAP account if
my messages are not stored in the IMAP Sent folder thus not being synchronized with the server...?

Thank you for your help.

G

Outlook's support of IMAP folders is notoriously bad, but using a rule to
move items to the IMAP sent folder should work for just about any version of
Outlook. In this case the rule should be an "after sending" rule. Outlook
2007 supports saving to an IMAP sent folder without a rule. Unless there's
something you really need from Outlook (like syncing with a palm as is my
case), try Thunderbird/Lightning. You'll be amazed about how easy it is to
manage your IMAP mail, but you will give up some contact/calendar capability.

J

John

Thanks for you reply.
Quick question - what is the Unicode support that this folder (assuming I
will use a rule) is all about? Will I miss anything buy using the rule in
regards to the Unicode?

Ask a Question