Problem With Internet Sharing

I have a network of 50 machines which runs using OS like WinXP,Win2000 Server
Family,Win98,Win98SE,Linux and I have a broadband connection . I have made
one of the machine as server and configured the ICS which uses XP and I have
also configured the clients the problem is the clients are not opening all
the website for example:- yahoo,rediff,niit.com,123india.com,monster.com etc
but the clients machine is opening sify,google,railways etc websites but on
the other hand the server is opening all the sites .

I have tried by disabling the firewall option also it did not work.

ipconfig of all my NIC in the server machine are
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mr-4

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast
Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-BA-37-B5-AA

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.48.209

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : REL8139D 10/100Mb Fast Ethernet
Card

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

PPP adapter BSBL DATAONE DIALER:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

61.1.96.71

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
Please suggest wht is wrong

Chuck

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 07:35:03 -0700, Internet Sharing Problem <Internet Sharing
I have a network of 50 machines which runs using OS like WinXP,Win2000 Server
Family,Win98,Win98SE,Linux and I have a broadband connection . I have made
one of the machine as server and configured the ICS which uses XP and I have
also configured the clients the problem is the clients are not opening all
the website for example:- yahoo,rediff,niit.com,123india.com,monster.com etc
but the clients machine is opening sify,google,railways etc websites but on
the other hand the server is opening all the sites .

I have tried by disabling the firewall option also it did not work.

What specific error or display do you see when the clients "are not opening all
the website"?

Check your MTU settings.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314825
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319661
http://www.allensmith.net/Windows/ICS/xpICSmtu.htm

--
Cheers,
Chuck

Interrogative

"Internet Sharing Problem" <Internet Sharing
I have a network of 50 machines which runs using OS like WinXP,Win2000
Server
Family,Win98,Win98SE,Linux and I have a broadband connection . I have made
one of the machine as server and configured the ICS which uses XP and I
have
also configured the clients the problem is the clients are not opening all
the website for example:- yahoo,rediff,niit.com,123india.com,monster.com
etc
but the clients machine is opening sify,google,railways etc websites but
on
the other hand the server is opening all the sites .

Lorien

If you're using 50 machines, you must have a domain setup since a workgroup
with XP is limited to 10 connections. Make sure you've disconnected ICF on
the machines not directly connected to the internet because that can cause
problems with ICS - but it seems you already tried that (just make sure you
did it on all of them except the one that's directly connected to the
internet). Another possibility is that you have the internet security
settings too high on the client computers (but not on the server). You
might want to be sure they're set to medium (which should be fine for most
sites and I know it'll work with monster and yahoo for example).

I also notice the Ethernet Local Area Connection IP address is from APIPA so
it isn't finding a DHCP server to assign an IP address. With 50 PCs, I
assume you're using DHCP but the 169.254.x.x. address means it couldn't find
a DHCP server to assign it a lease. I don't think that's the cause of this
problem, but it might be something you want to look at. If DHCP is normally
assigning a DNS server, then that might be part of the problem if it can't
translate host names into IP addresses. It may be working on some addresses
because it may be using the HOSTS file or you may be getting cached copies
of the sites.

Lorien said:
If you're using 50 machines, you must have a domain setup since a
workgroup with XP is limited to 10 connections.

With smart bridging, that doesn't have to be the case. It depends on what
they want at each individual installation but you can have 5 local lans of
10 users a piece all going through one machine which is connected to
Internet doing ICS and also bridging.