Problem with DataGrid focus

G

Hi all,

I am using the windows.forms datagrid and binding 2 datagrids to 2 different DataTables from a single typed dataset. The DataTables have a parent-child 1 to many relationship. When saving the data to an XML file (using dataset.WriteXML()), it gets written incorrectly sometimes.

Basically, my XML file should look like:

<ParentTable>
<ParentCol1>stuff</ParentCol1>
<ParentCol2>stuff</ParentCol2>
<ChildTable>
<ChildCol1>stuff</ChildCol1>
<ChildCol2>stuff</ChildCol2>
</ChildTable>
</ParentTable>

instead, it looks like:

<ParentTable>
<ParentCol1>stuff</ParentCol1>
<ParentCol2>stuff</ParentCol2>
</ParentTable>
<ChildTable>
<ChildCol1>stuff</ChildCol1>
<ChildCol2>stuff</ChildCol2>
</ChildTable>

I know that this is happening because I do not put focus off of the datagrid when going to the File > Save in the Main Menu. If I enter a new row in the parent datagrid, take focus off of that row by going to another row, and coming back to the new row, then enter a new row in the child datagrid for the corresponding parent row, then take focus off of that row, the XML is written correctly.

I have tried calling EndEdit() and Select(0) methods, but still no luck. Select(0) doesn't work because it will not take focus off of a new row if it is the first row.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have been looking for the answer for this for weeks and am extremely frustruated!

G

Have you setup relationships with the dataset object?

Try the following and see if it helps:

dataset.Relations.Add(ParentTable.Column("ID"),ChildTable.Column("ID")).Nested = True
dataset.WriteXML("myFile.xml")

Hope this helps!

Ask a Question