Problem with clean install of XP over Vista - HELP!!

jusfishn

Hi, I just bought a new desktop cpu that came loaded with Vista Home. I tried
However, it won't install. It sets up a partition, and loads some files,
then it simply reboots, and has you repeat the setup all over. Meanwhile
Vista appears to be gone. Someone in our IT dept says I must buy a new hard
drive because this one was set up for 64 bit? I'm not savvy enough to
understand that, but it doesn't seem right to get rid of a brand new hard
drive ... help!?!?

db ´¯`·.. >

I don't know why we
should contradict your
technical consultant.

I don't know why you
can't research the
difference between
32 bit or 64 bit and
ensure that the software
matches the hardware.

---------------

perhaps, you should do
a factory restore to return
your system into a functional
state.

then look up the specifications
of your machine either from
within vista or your computer
manual or your computers
home site.

further, if it is a new machine
then you likely have free technical
support from the people who
sold it to you.

-----------------

perhaps, after you get
your system back to a
functional state,

you might want to consider
installing virtual pc in vista.

then installing your winxp
in virtual pc.

the above is only one avenue
but there are others.
--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

"share the nirvana" - dbZen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sgopus

it sounds as if your continually rebooting to the install CD, once the
install is done and the pc reboots, remove the install cd, and or change the
boot order so that it doesn't boot from the cd anymore

Bob Knowlden

New hard drive because the OS was 64 bit? Sounds like made-up nonsense.

I suggest booting from the XP CD. Delete the c: partition on the drive,
format it (a quick format ought to be adequate), and install XP. If that is
already what you tried, I don't know what the problem might be. There can be
problems involving the master boot record (MBR), but I wouldn't expect that
with a simple desktop machine.

Alternately, If your PC didn't come with a restore disk (for Vista, it would
be a DVD), it must have a restore partition. (That assumes that the machine
was made by someone who follows Microsoft's licensing rules.) You should be
able to restore the machine to the original factory configuration with it.
The way to invoke it varies among manufacturers, so you'll have to check
with the maker or the manual that came with the PC.

Hope this helps.

SC Tom

jusfishn said:
<<snip>>. Someone in our IT dept says I must buy a new hard
drive because this one was set up for 64 bit?

And he/she still works there? Scary!!

SC Tom

Bruce Chambers

jusfishn said:
Hi, I just bought a new desktop cpu that came loaded with Vista Home. I tried

There could be a couple possible adverse repercussions of which you
should be aware. First and foremost, if the specific computer model in
question was designed specifically for Vista, there may well be no
WinXP-specific device drivers available to make the computer's diverse
components work properly. Consult the computer's manufacturer about the
availability of device drivers. Secondly, removing an OEM-installed
operating system and replacing it with another will almost invariably
void any and all support agreements and, possibly, even the warranty.
You would, at the very least, have to re-install Vista before getting
any support from the manufacturer. Again, consult the computer's
manufacturer for specifics. Thirdly, there will be the additional cost
involved in purchasing a WinXP license for this new computer.

After backing up any data you wish to transfer to the new OS
installation, simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be
offered the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part
of the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of
boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Then, assuming you were successful in obtaining WinXP-specific
device drivers so that the computer can be made to work with WinXP, the
backed up data can be restored and applications (those that are
WinXP-compatible, that is) re-installed.

However, it won't install. It sets up a partition, and loads some files,
then it simply reboots, and has you repeat the setup all over. Meanwhile
Vista appears to be gone.

Not at all surprising. Have you verified that your computer can
actually support WinXP, and that all of the requisite device drivers?

Someone in our IT dept says I must buy a new hard
drive because this one was set up for 64 bit?

That individual certainly shouldn't be working in any IT department,
other than perhaps as a janitor. He certainly knows little to nothing
about computers.

I'm not savvy enough to
understand that, but it doesn't seem right to get rid of a brand new hard
drive ... help!?!?

New hard drive? No, of course not.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Bruce Chambers

db ´¯`·.. > said:
I don't know why we
should contradict your
technical consultant.

You mean, besides the obvious fact that said "technical consultant" is
clearly a complete idiot?

I don't know why you
can't research the
difference between
32 bit or 64 bit and
ensure that the software
matches the hardware.

Of course, given the above statement, it's also obvious that you
shouldn't be giving any advice, either. First of all, there are no
64-bit versions of the Vista Home Editions. Secondly, having a modern
64-bit systemdoes not preclude the installation of a 32-bit OS.
Thirdly, how could replacing the hard drive possibly have any bearing?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Bob Knowlden

I'm not sure what you mean by "there are no 64-bit versions of the Vista
Home Editions".

For nearly two years, my OS was Vista Home Premium X64. (The X64 media disk
wasn't in the box, so I ordered it directly from Microsoft.) It accepted the
license key from the retail package with no difficulty.

Bruce Chambers said:
db ´¯`·.. ><)))º>` .. . wrote: (snip)
Of course, given the above statement, it's also obvious that you shouldn't
be giving any advice, either. First of all, there are no 64-bit versions
of the Vista Home Editions. Secondly, having a modern 64-bit systemdoes
not preclude the installation of a 32-bit OS. Thirdly, how could replacing
the hard drive possibly have any bearing?
(snip)

HeyBub

jusfishn said:
Hi, I just bought a new desktop cpu that came loaded with Vista Home.
I tried loading XP Professional (clean install) as soon as I plugged
the new cpu in. However, it won't install. It sets up a partition,
and loads some files, then it simply reboots, and has you repeat the
setup all over. Meanwhile Vista appears to be gone. Someone in our
IT dept says I must buy a new hard drive because this one was set up
for 64 bit? I'm not savvy enough to understand that, but it doesn't
seem right to get rid of a brand new hard drive ... help!?!?

What level of XP? If the original (pre-SP1) AND the hard drive is a SATA
drive, I don't think the installation will work. The original XP did not
have drivers for SATA drives.

Bruce Chambers

Bob said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "there are no 64-bit versions of the Vista
Home Editions".

For nearly two years, my OS was Vista Home Premium X64. (The X64 media
disk wasn't in the box, so I ordered it directly from Microsoft.) It
accepted the license key from the retail package with no difficulty.

I wasn't aware of that, and found nothing on Microsoft's site (after an
admittedly short search) to that affect. Thanks for the correction.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

db ´¯`·.. >

there is much you
are not aware of,

like how annoying are
your arguments for
the sake of trolling.

--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
- Systems Analyst
- Database Developer
- Accountancy
- Veteran of the Armed Forces

"share the nirvana" - dbZen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tom [Pepper] Willett

You are the king of the hoopleheads.

" db ´¯`·.. ><)))º>` .. ." <databaseben at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
: there is much you
: are not aware of,
:
: like how annoying are
: your arguments for
: the sake of trolling.
:
: --
:
: db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
: DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
: - Systems Analyst
: - Database Developer
: - Accountancy
: - Veteran of the Armed Forces
:
: "share the nirvana" - dbZen
:
: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: >
: >
:
: > Bob Knowlden wrote:
: >> I'm not sure what you mean by "there are no 64-bit versions of the
Vista Home Editions".
: >>
: >> For nearly two years, my OS was Vista Home Premium X64. (The X64 media
disk wasn't in the box, so I ordered it directly from
: >> Microsoft.) It accepted the license key from the retail package with no
difficulty.
: >>
: >
: >
: > I wasn't aware of that, and found nothing on Microsoft's site (after an
admittedly short search) to that affect. Thanks for the
: > correction.
: >
: >
: > --
: >
: > Bruce Chambers
: >
: > Help us help you:
: >
: >
: > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375
: >
: > They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
: >
: > Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
Russell
: >
: > The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
killed a great many philosophers.
: > ~ Denis Diderot
:

db ´¯`·.. >

such are the words of
a most valuable pecker.

--

: > Bob Knowlden wrote:
[...]

Bill in Co.

It's not an adding machine. It's a VIC-20 hooked up to the Internet.
Did you expect anything else from a person who uses an adding machine for
computer.

Bob Knowlden wrote:
[...]

Unknown

I believe you are absolutely correct on that. I stand corrected.