Problem opening an Excel file

Reaction score
I am having problems opening several Excel files (all of which were open during the same session a week or so ago).
When I try to open the file, Excel starts up, and then sits there with no file showing. All the menus are disabled as if there was no file open. However, it creates a file with a ~ as if it was opened, and when I go to close Excel it asks if I want to save changes. I have tried answering yes and also no - when I choose yes it saves the file, but the new file has the same problem. I think it might be something to do with the status (Excel is mixed up and thinks it has already opened the file).
- The problem occurs on multiple computers, and even after the file has been e-mailed and downloaded
- I have tried repairing the file and also putting "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Excel.Exe" /regserver into the 'run' command and it didn't seem to help
- I have tried commands like 'arrange all' and I'm pretty sure I'm not doing something dumb like having the window scrolled off the page because of the menus being disabled
Any suggestions? The file appears in the Excel preview window in explorer, which seems to suggest the data is there in some form. It has lots of formulae so just extracting the data won't help much.
Hoping you can save me an afternoon re-creating it all!
Thanks!!

Ask a Question