Problem Inserting Headers and Footers

Andibevan

Hi All,

I have a problem with a large word doc in Word 2003. There are no section
breaks in the document as I have deleted them all. The document has a title
page, contents page and then the actual document.

When I select View > Header and Footer - nothing happens - it is as though
the headers and footers have somehow been deleted from my document (or
something).

A couple of revisions earlier I had them - I can't find any reason why or
where they have gone.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Andy

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Andibevan,

If you had section breaks, the document structure could be damaged. Try
copying everything EXCEPT the last paragraph mark into a new document and see
if that helps.
I have a problem with a large word doc in Word 2003. There are no section
breaks in the document as I have deleted them all. The document has a title
page, contents page and then the actual document.

When I select View > Header and Footer - nothing happens - it is as though
the headers and footers have somehow been deleted from my document (or
something).

A couple of revisions earlier I had them - I can't find any reason why or
where they have gone.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :)

Stefan Blom

Did you enable "Different first page" and/or "Different odd and even"
on the Layout tab of File>Page Setup? If so, you have more headers and
footers (up to three headers and three footers), which could explain
why some seem to have disappeared. For more, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm.

If headers and footers are actually gone (you can't see the
header/footer area, not even if you choose View>Headers and Footers),
I suspect that the document is corrupt. Try to recreate it using the
procedures at http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

in message
news:uCPqp0l%[email protected]...

Andibevan

Thanks both - It did appear that the document was corrupted. The large
amount of track changes probably didn't help the situation.