Problem inserting Excel data into Word


P

Philamental

Hello,

Apologies if I am posting this to the wrong group.

My colleague has a number of Excel worksheets that he has done a number of
calculations on. He needs to insert this data into Word as part of a Report
he is preparing. That part is straight forward enough.

However, he is looking for a solution whereby if he updates the Excel sheet
it automatically updates the part he has inserted into Word.

Is this even possible? If it is, could someone outline the procedure, or
link me to a relevant article.

Thank you,

Phil
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Richard O. Neville

It definitely is possible. Copy the data from Excel and switch to Word, but
don't just paste, select Edit-Paste Special and check the "Paste link" box,
which will provide other choices. Then any change made in the source Excel
sheet will update in Word. Test it a time or two to make sure it's working
right.
 
M

MrShorty

I have used the procedure outlined by Richard with reasonable success.

One caution: In my experience with Office 2002, Word doesn't always
recognize when a change has occured in Excel. I can't tell how many
times I would print a report only to realize that Word had failed to
update a chart or a table or a value.

Another minor irritation: Once, I wanted to use an infinity symbol as
the heading for a column, so I pasted the symbol in from Excel's paste
symbol dialog. It worked just fine in the Excel "copy," but when
pasted into Word, the symbol ended up on its side as an 8. I
discovered that I needed to paste the symbol from the character map
rather than from the insert symbol dialog to get it to appear correct
in Word.
 
G

Guest

Hi Philamental. Try copying the information in Excel and then in Word goto
Edit - Paste Special and check Paste Link. When the data is updated in Excel
it will also update in Word. If the Word document is closed when you update
Excel, the next time it is opened you will be asked if you want to update the
links. Say yes. HTH
 
P

Philamental

Richard O. Neville said:
It definitely is possible. Copy the data from Excel and switch to Word,
but don't just paste, select Edit-Paste Special and check the "Paste link"
box, which will provide other choices. Then any change made in the source
Excel sheet will update in Word. Test it a time or two to make sure it's
working right.

Thanks a million, Richard. I've tried this and it does seem to work. I've
passed the method on to my colleague who is delighted with it.

Cheers

Phil
 
P

Philamental

MrShorty said:
I have used the procedure outlined by Richard with reasonable success.

One caution: In my experience with Office 2002, Word doesn't always
recognize when a change has occured in Excel. I can't tell how many
times I would print a report only to realize that Word had failed to
update a chart or a table or a value.

Another minor irritation: Once, I wanted to use an infinity symbol as
the heading for a column, so I pasted the symbol in from Excel's paste
symbol dialog. It worked just fine in the Excel "copy," but when
pasted into Word, the symbol ended up on its side as an 8. I
discovered that I needed to paste the symbol from the character map
rather than from the insert symbol dialog to get it to appear correct
in Word.

Thanks for the reply, MrShorty. I'll pass your experiences on to my
colleague so he's aware of the potential problems with this procedure.

Cheers

Phil
 
Ad

Advertisements

P

Philamental

Michael said:
Hi Philamental. Try copying the information in Excel and then in Word
goto
Edit - Paste Special and check Paste Link. When the data is updated in
Excel
it will also update in Word. If the Word document is closed when you
update
Excel, the next time it is opened you will be asked if you want to update
the
links. Say yes. HTH
--

Very helpful, Michael. Thanks.

I think I may have come across this procedure about 10 years ago, but had
completely forgotten it and doubt I would have found it that easily, if at
all.

Much appreciated.

Phil
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top