Problem in Reading TEXT files using OLEDB

Reaction score
hi

I have got a strange problem. May I know any solution for this.

Here is the detailed description about the problem

We have got a mainframe system and also production and development server.

There was an application in the production server since 3 years and was working fine. Recenlty we got into stucked up with this problem. Every night the mainframe generates few text files and thru FTP it sents those files to production server.

In the production server application we do have got few jobs (i.e dotnet application) that reads this text file(s) and the data from these text files will be stored in our sql server DB for the use of web applications.

Now the jobs in the development server (which we are using for testing) got creating problems like "Invalid index" and stoping the process further. After examining the problem in respective dotnet application i got to know the problem where it is but I am surprised to see that the same application working fine in production server since few years.

I dont have the source code of dotnet application which is running in the production server. But I do have source code of dot net application that is in development server.

Here in the dot net application I am able to see the source code and it is being written like this...the algorithm as follows.

1. Dynamically getting the connection string (i.e. Provider=Microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;Data source=C:\myapp;Extended Properties=Text;)
2. Establishing oledb connection.
3. Dynamically constructing the SELECT stmt with respective txt file ex "select * from members.txt" (here the members.txt file is from Mainframe and stored in C:\myapp folder)
4. Using OLEDB Command object executing the about SELECT statement and returning back to OLEDBDataReader object back to the caller.
5. In the caller function the person who written the code directly referring values from the reader as objReader.getvalue(0), objReader.getvalue(1)... so on.
6. Now the problem is after executing the command object in the reader I am able to see only one column i.e objReader.getvalue(0). Its because
the entire one line of the text file is coming in one column (but it suppose to split in to multiple columns)
7. Its generating an exception when the code refers second column on wards.
8. Here I donno wat is the delimeter for knowing columns in the text file.
9. I do see few spaces between values in the text files.
10. Here my doubt is if the code is compiled like this how its running fine in the production server.
11. Or if I wann change code in the development server how could I do that. After I seached in internet in the while generating the connection string in the extended properties I have to mention lie this..

"Extended Properties=Text;HDR=No;delimited=TabDelimited" This is in case of the text file content was delimited by tab

Where as here I am thinking that its not delimited by TAB and also thinking that it might be delimited by no of characters example.. first column is 15 characters and from 16th character on wards its second column until 25th character etc.... in this case how and wat value should I mention in the delimited property?

can any one of you enlighten me on this.

I am desperately looking for valuable suggestions.

Thanks in advance...
VJ

Ask a Question