Problem closing Access 2000 DB

Marius

All: Looking for some help here. Not a tech newbie, but
am having what I believe are some security related issues
with an Access 2000 db on a WinXP machine that I created
for a client.

The db started as a modification of one of the Access2K
templates...the Contact Management one. It is small but
we have populated the db with around 500 records. I made
some changes initially to the form of the db template to
reflect what we needed. Things went fine until recently.

The problem seems to be that whenever we try to close the
db after entering or even simply viewing the db [from the
switchboard], Access refuses to close the db. The only
way to exit is to kill all the Access apps running in
Task Manager.

I am very confused and have not been able to find a
solution online anywhere. I am sure this is a
rudimentary problem, more to do with my failure to
understand Access 2000 security than with anything else.
There are only 2 users presently using the db and
according to the security info, all belong to the ADMINS
group so I assume that they all can modify forms and add
data at will.

Can someone please help out with this vexing issue?

tia,
-marius

TC

Marius said:
[...]

Try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q190074&

TC

Marius

"Marius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[...]

.

TC: Thanks for the link, but I am further confused.
First, the behavior is listed as being applicable only for
Access 97, not 2000. Second, I have no idea how to even
begin to resolve the problem as I am obviously not a DBA
nor do I have any real programming experience. Third, I
cannot think where this "code behind a subform control
that references a Boolean control" would appear - I
certainly did not make any [as far as I know] code changes
to the original template [other than modifying the form
slightly].

Can you or anyone else shed some more light on this and
maybe point me in the right direction to resolve this? I
really don't even know where to begin applying the fix as
described.

tia,
-marius

Marius

[...]

TC: In re-reading the solution you refer me to, I seem to
believe that what I am experiencing is different than
described.

I cannot even close the database as the KB article
describes. The only way to quit the db and then Access is
to invoke Task Manager and terminate Access. Also, a file
with an .LDB extension is created. I assume this is some
sort of log file, but I cannot seem to open it even with
notepad. It seems to be some sort of coded binary file.

So, still looking for a solution here. Any other thoughts?

best,
-marius

TC

Marius said:
[...]

Hi Marius

Access creates a temporary LDB file for its own use. That file is
deleted when Access closes normally. If Access terminates abnormally
(as when you ctrl-alt-del it), it does not get a chance to delete that
file. You can delete that file yourself, or, let Access recreate it
next time. It's not anything to worry about.

As for your original problem, sorry the link did not help out. Perhaps
someone else has some suggestions.

TC