Problem after backup

Melissa Bates

Hi,

Tonight I performed a weekly backup as I usually do, and
after a reboot I am having some serious problems that seem
related to networking, although the cause might lie
elsewhere. I would be very grateful for any insights into
this problem, and any suggestions as to how to fix it.

First, I used an external USB disk to backup both C; and D:
drives. Everything proceded smoothly, no problems. All other
programs were shut down at the time. The backup included a
current registry copy. When finished, the USB disk was cleanly
"stopped" and disconnected. I've been doing this weekly for
at least a year with no problems of any kind.

Upon reboot which is part of the ritual, the desktop wallpaper
showed, but no icons and no taskbar. This lasted for several
minutes with only an occasional tiny bit of disk activity,
then the icons and taskbar appeared while the startup programs
began. A logout and login or reboot don't fix the problem. The
same symptoms occur for Administrator and regular users.

The network activity icon doesn't show in the taskbar, but I
am able to connect with the router and Internet. DNS is
working, and the DNS servers are outside the LAN.

Then, some programs wouldn't start. Looking at the Process
Explorer (from http://www.sysinternals.com) shows a program
starting then almost immediately dieing for no apparent
reason. Clicking the "Network Connections" desktop icon
yields an empty window, but I can navigate upwards in the
directory tree just fine.

The "Control panel" is displaying wierdly, with the
"Accessibility" et. al. icons in the left pane with a scroll
bar but an empty right pane. "Administrative Tools" -->
"Services" displays correctly, but I am unable to view any
"Properties" of any of the Services!

The "Event Viewer" is showing many ID: 7001 errors from the
"Service Control Manager" since the backup, but I am unable
to view any of the details of the events. support.microsoft.com
doesn't shed any light on the error, as I don't have a Lexmark
printer, and NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled in the Device
Manager. One reference indicated a registry error, but any
attempt to restore the registry from the last 2 available
backups results in an error "Cannot import <filename>: Error
accessing the registry."

I can't close the Device Manager, the Event Viewer or the
Services windows; an error "Close All Property Pages ..."
happens for each, although no additional windows are open for
them. The Task Manager is required to kill those processes.

One error in the Device Manager is an exclamation mark at
the "Microsoft HID Clas Driver". The article at Support
indicates a "surprise removal" of a PnP USB device, but it
was removed cleanly, and reconnects/disconnects cleanly too.

Is anyone able to help please?

mb

ynotssor

I wrote in message
The "Event Viewer" is showing many ID: 7001 errors from the
"Service Control Manager" since the backup, but I am unable
to view any of the details of the events. support.microsoft.com
doesn't shed any light on the error, as I don't have a Lexmark
printer, and NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled in the Device
Manager. One reference indicated a registry error, but any
attempt to restore the registry from the last 2 available
backups results in an error "Cannot import <filename>: Error
accessing the registry."

Well, after a reboot after the above registry import error, everything runs
smoothly and properly. Although the registry import indicated an error, it
did indeed successfully import the registry backup made 2 weeks ago. I know
because one financial trading program that I run continuously has a window
that displays dated global variables that are stored in the registry, and
the variables displayed were from one week ago prior to the 2nd-last backup.

It's good to know that there's a Usenet newsgroup to cry to when there's a
problem, and I thank you all.

It's even better to have a couple weeks' worth of regular backups though.
;-)

mb