Printing from Vista to network Printer on XP

Can a PC running Vista Home Basic wirelessly print to a printer connected to
another computer on a home network that is running XP? If so, How do I set it
up. Nothing I have tried works.

Thanks

Tim

Yes, it *should* be able to. Please provide more details regarding the
make/model of the hardware involved and what you have already tried. It
would save time and perhaps solve the problem quicker.

Tim

Tim,
I have a home network set up which has cable internet coming into the
house to the cable modem, and that then runs to our router. To the router I
have one computer connected with a cable, and our printer is connected to
that computer. That computer is running XP Home edition. There are three
other computers all running XP Home that connect wirelessly to the router and
can connect to that computer by "run \\computer" then connecting to the
printer. They all can print fine. My computer is running "Vista Basic'. I can
connect to any of the computers in the network including the one the printer
is connected to, by "run\\computer name" I can open the print queue and even
see when there are documents in the queue being printed from any of the other
computers. The printer is an HP 840c. I have installed an updated driver on
both the computer the printer is connected to, and also I installed it on
mine. Once the printer is found by "run\\computer, from my computer, and I
connect to it on my computer, I can even select it from the drop down menu
when wanting to print a document, but as soon as I press start I get an error
message that the document failed to print. I have tried to print from Word,
Word Pad, Notepad, Notepad2, and Notepad++ They all return the same error
message.
Thanks, Gary

Tim

The additional information is very helpful.

I'll assume that all PCs are in the same workgroup. Rather than using the
"run\\computer" method from your Vista PC, have you run through the "Add
Printer Wizard"? If not, give that a go and post back.

Tim

Alan,
I do not know how or where to look for the system event log entries.
please advise. The error comes up in a small box, with a little yellow
triangle with an exclamation point in it, and the message is "Failure to
print untitled". Thats all it says.

Thanks
Gary

Alan Morris said:
Are there any system eventlog entries? Also what is the exact error?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

Tim said:
The additional information is very helpful.

I'll assume that all PCs are in the same workgroup. Rather than using the
"run\\computer" method from your Vista PC, have you run through the "Add
Printer Wizard"? If not, give that a go and post back.

Tim

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Start, Right click , Computer, Manage, Event Viewer, Windows Logs, System

So the message is from Notepad, yes?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

Alan Morris said:
Are there any system eventlog entries? Also what is the exact error?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

rights.

:

Yes, it *should* be able to. Please provide more details regarding
the
make/model of the hardware involved and what you have already tried.
It
would save time and perhaps solve the problem quicker.

Tim

Can a PC running Vista Home Basic wirelessly print to a printer
connected
another computer on a home network that is running XP? If so, How
do I
set
it
up. Nothing I have tried works.

Thanks

Alan,
I get the same error message if I attempt to print from. MS Word,
Wordpad, Notepad, Notepad2 (Replacement for Notepad) or Notepad++ (also a
replacement) I ran the print wizard as Tim suggested and it did not help. So
I uninstalled the printer from the host computer, and re-installed it and it
was able to print the test page. Thnaks for you advise.
Gary

"Tim" <tim_at_overthere.com> wrote in message
[...]

I had already run the Add Print Wizard and got no results. So I
un-installed the printer from the host computer, and the driver I had
installed on mine, re-installed the printer with the updated driver I had and
I was able to print the test page from my computer. I have not yet tried to
print anything else from Word or Notepad yet. I am going to assume I can.
Thnkas for your advise!
Gary

I continue to have trouble with this type of situation. I have a Samsung
CLP-510 attached to an XP SP2 computer. I have already tried attaching the
printer directly to the Vista machine and installing the Vista drivers
successfully. I then reattached the printer to the XP machine and tried
attaching the Vista machine to the printer over the network, but it
uninstalled the Vista driver and dragged the XP driver over to the Vista
machine, which won't work.

I have also tried installing the Vista drivers on the XP machine as an
Additional Driver. Unfortunately you can't specify a directory under XP SP2.
I tried running the Vista drivers using the setup program but of course that
errored out because it recognized it was the wrong driver. Finally I tried
copying the Vista drivers to the directory on the XP machine where the XP
drivers resided, but still wasn't able to install the Vista Drivers under
"Additional Drivers" for that printer.

I am completely stumped on this.

Ed Isenberg

Gary said:
[...]

Install the Vista drivers as the primary driver on the XP machine for use by
the XP machine. I believe you have done this and it failed?

If this fails you will need to bypass the Remote Procedure Calls (RPC)
functions by adding a local printer to the Vista machine and using the
Server service rather than RPC to transfer the print file to the XP machine.

On Vista with the CLP-510 driver installed, add a Local printer, Add a new
Local Port in the form \\XPMACHINE\PRINTSHARE (if you have spaces in the
share name rename the share). Select the driver Next , Next , Finish.

Print Test Page.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

Alan Morris said:
[...]

mark

I am having the same problem. I am running windows xp 64 on the computer
with the printer. I have a new vista laptop that gets an error
"windows cannot connect to the printer Operation could not be
completed(error 0x0000046a)
when I googled it it said the server has a stack size that is too small.
the printer is epson cx5000 and the pc is a acer aspire 515 running vista.
the printer is connected to a HP pavillion with xp media center 64bit with
dual core athalon processor...
I've tried all the things you have suggested and nothing works...

Alan Morris [MSFT]

this is an issue with the server service

C:\>winerror 0x0000046a
1130 ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_SERVER_MEMORY <--> 0xc0000205
STATUS_INSUFF_SERVER_RESOURCES

Did you already make the adjustments in the registry? You have to reboot
for changes in the server service to take affect.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team