Printing columns

D

Dan Johnson

All,

Please forgive this very simple task request. I am trying to eliminate the white space on the right side of a printed page and ultimately the total number of pages. All of that means that I would like to display and print multiple groups of columns within the same page.

Example, the spreadsheet contains three columns of information:
Column 1 is 2 characters
Column 2 is 12 characters
Column 3 is 12 characters, also
The font is set at 10 so there is plenty of room to have at least two groups of the three columns and maybe even 3 groups of 3 columns on the same page.
The following is what I am showing:
AD Administration AD SAFEAWD
AD Administration AD HUMRES
AD Administration AD SALES
AD Administration AD OFFICE

This is what I would like to accomplish:
AD Administration AD SAFEAWD EV Environmental EV WASTE
AD Administration AD HUMRES EV Environmental EV FEES
AD Administration AD SALES EV Environmental EV TESTING
AD Administration AD OFFICE EV Environmental EV EQUIP

I believe I am missing one of the settings within the page setup but have tried everything but haven't found the solution so far. I have and want to have the columns go down the page then (up &) over and have the box selected for that within the page settings. The only thing I see in the print preview with the settings I have now is a single set of the three columns displayed on the page.

Any suggestions are sincerely appreciated.

B

Bill Ridgeway

Dan,

There are a number of simple ways of reducing white space and enhancing the appearance of the printed output. I would suggest you experiment with each of these (some may be useful either together or individually).

Make column heads as narrow as possible

Select a row

Click <Cells><Alignment><Wrap text>

(It is also advisable to change vertical alignment at the same time)

Reduce the column heads as required

Make column widths as narrow as possible

Select a column(s)

Click <Format><Column><AutoFit Selection>

If you still have difficulty getting text to fit a page (ideal if only a small part migrates across a page)

Reduce the width of top, bottom and side margins

Click on <File><Page Setup><Margins>
OR

Force everything onto one page

Click on<<File><Page Setup><Page> and change "Fit to" settings

OR

change the orientation between Portrait and Landscape

OR

Reduce the text font size (a reduction 0.5 is hardly noticeable to the eye but may be all that is needed to force the text to fit the page).

OR

Insert a page break

Select the point at which you want a (vertical or horizontal) page break

Click on <Insert><Page Break>

But these can be a bit fiddly

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

All,

Please forgive this very simple task request. I am trying to eliminate the white space on the right side of a printed page and ultimately the total number of pages. All of that means that I would like to display and print multiple groups of columns within the same page.

Example, the spreadsheet contains three columns of information:
Column 1 is 2 characters
Column 2 is 12 characters
Column 3 is 12 characters, also
The font is set at 10 so there is plenty of room to have at least two groups of the three columns and maybe even 3 groups of 3 columns on the same page.
The following is what I am showing:
AD Administration AD SAFEAWD
AD Administration AD HUMRES
AD Administration AD SALES
AD Administration AD OFFICE

This is what I would like to accomplish:
AD Administration AD SAFEAWD EV Environmental EV WASTE
AD Administration AD HUMRES EV Environmental EV FEES
AD Administration AD SALES EV Environmental EV TESTING
AD Administration AD OFFICE EV Environmental EV EQUIP

I believe I am missing one of the settings within the page setup but have tried everything but haven't found the solution so far. I have and want to have the columns go down the page then (up &) over and have the box selected for that within the page settings. The only thing I see in the print preview with the settings I have now is a single set of the three columns displayed on the page.

Any suggestions are sincerely appreciated.

Ask a Question