Printers deployed from WS2003 R2 server

NZSchoolTech

Our computers are on a WS2003 domain controller. Using R2 the
Pushprinterconnections application pushes down printer connections to XP
clients from the server.

With a Vista PC joined on, it gets spooler subsystem failures. I
understand it is possible that this could be because the drivers are not
Vista compatible.

How do we get printers that are installed on the servers to have the
right drivers for both XP and Vista clients?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

If the driver is included in Vista, use a Vista machine to remotely install
the driver to the server.

If the printer is an HP LaserJet, check the version of a file named
hpbmini.dll on the server in \windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3

The file must be version 16 or greater. The file gets copied to the Vista
machine and before installation checks the OS version of the client. The
older file reads OS version 6 and crashes, bring down the spooler at the
same time (this issue also existed when Server 2003 (OS version 5.2) was
released).

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team