Print to File

Dick Harrison

I have a notebook system and when I do not have immediate access to a
printer I would like to print to a file and then print the file to a printer
at a later time.

Seems simple -- but I have not be able to do it. When I have something I
want to print -- I select the "Print to File" -- then select my A drive
(floppy) and name a .prn file. Indicate OK and the file goes to the A drive.
Now I am stuck. There is no "send to printer" command. I have tried
Command Prompt -- Copy A:\filename.prn /B PRN /B. The command seems to
execute -- but nothing happens. The printer I am printing to is the same as
the default printer was when I executed the "print to file".

Even if the above Command Prompt works -- there must be a simpler way --
with all the notebook systems that want to used the internet and print out
material at a later time.

Thanks, Dick

David Candy

Just print normally. When you have access to a printer open your printer (should be an icon next to time) and tell it to do it now. You can configure to print off line but I've not ever needed to do so but the process is similar (with my suggestion you'll get an error message after 5 minutes later saying can't find printer - just ignore it)

Dick Harrison

David -- I turned off my printer and it worked like you said (I did not stay
with it long enough to get an error message). I turned my printer on and
opened the printer and it started to print.

If I want to configure for off line printing -- how do I do that?

Thanks for your solution, Dick

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Just print normally. When you have access to a printer open your printer
(should be an icon next to time) and tell it to do it now. You can configure
to print off line but I've not ever needed to do so but the process is
similar (with my suggestion you'll get an error message after 5 minutes
later saying can't find printer - just ignore it)

David Candy

I now know. Choose offline on the file menu.

Start - Control Panel - Printers And Faxes - <whatever printer> - File - Work Offline

David Candy

Your first way is probably not working because it's not mapped to a dos port. If you have a USB or non PRN type printer then windows has to emulate a printer port. You set that up in the printer's properties. But I thought offline was easier.

Dick Harrison

David -- using the "Use Printer Offline" selection seems to me to be the
cleanest way -- it works great -- I knew there was a simple way if only I
could find a "bright" person to help me. Thanks again -- Dick