print from vista to xp machine?

I have a new vista prem laptop, i connect wirelessly on my LAN to an xp
machine that has a lexmark 7170 all in one printer attached (usb). I could
print before like this with my old xp laptop. I have tried almost everything,
too many to list, and have given up for now. My question is, has anyone else
had problems with the Lexmark vista drivers? Thats the only thing I can think
of now. My next step is to go thru lexmark tech support. Thanks
Here is a list of things I've tried:
Same workgroup
Create a separate user account on both machines and use the same name then
add local printer
Add local printer on vista machine, local port, using the printer name to
address
Add the vista drivers to the xp machine (had to uninstall and use the
lexmark vista cleaner tool to remove) pc became unstable.

I have had exactly the same issues.....

I am starting to get very cross with Windows Vista...life with XP was so
much easier!

I've done alot of reading lately, and this is a wide spread issue. Does
anyone know how this can get relayed to microsoft, so maybe they can get it
fixed in the frist service pack for vista? The home LAN should be easier to
set up, I've given up and no one here has suggested anything new I can try. I
could try and contact lexmark, but they would just play the blame game, cause
my two XP machines print fine on my network, so it must be the Vista machine.
Can anyone Help!

Yea, tried to do that but still got the acess denied! Ive also tried to set
up a dummy printer on a local port on the XP machine, my current printer on
the XP machine is connected thur USB port. I always get acesses denied or
I'll get "unable to communicate with printer" when I install the vista
drivers on the vista machine. Thanks

Alan Morris said:
Setup a Fake printer to LPT on the XP machine that uses one of the drivers
that Lexmark included in XP. Share this printer. Can Vista connect to this
printer?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

Vista and XP togeather? said:
I've done alot of reading lately, and this is a wide spread issue. Does
anyone know how this can get relayed to microsoft, so maybe they can get
it
fixed in the frist service pack for vista? The home LAN should be easier
set up, I've given up and no one here has suggested anything new I can
try. I
could try and contact lexmark, but they would just play the blame game,
cause
my two XP machines print fine on my network, so it must be the Vista
machine.
Can anyone Help!

Alan Morris [MSFT]

in a command window execute

dir \\xpmachine\print$

does this return a directory structure?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

Alan Morris said:
Setup a Fake printer to LPT on the XP machine that uses one of the
drivers
that Lexmark included in XP. Share this printer. Can Vista connect to
this
printer?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

rights.

:

[...]

no it doesn't, "the specified path is invalid" is what i get.

wrote in message
[...]

I assume you replaced \\xpmachine with your machine name. If the Vista
machine cannot view the shared print driver files, then you will need to
adjust the permissions on the XP machine print$ directory.

Did the you run the Network Configuration Wizard on the XP machine? This
will open the firewall ports and enable the guest account.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team