Print field description of a table

G

I need an easy way to print the field descriptions of a table I created.
"Easy" means no SQL involved, since I'm not very fluent with it.

Anybody know why this is so difficult? I thought I would be able to copy and
paste from table design view into a Word document, but copy isn't an option.
Ideally I would be able to print any time I update the description.

I really appreciate the assistance.

J

Jeff Conrad

All the tables or just one table?

If you need just one you could try Tools | Analyze | Documentor.
That will print out the fields and a whole bunch of other information as well.
You could do all the tables as well, just be careful which options you select.

As another option I created an Access Add-In called the "John Viescas Table Documentor" that will
list each table and its field properties in an easy-to-read format. It is even easier to use than
the built-in Access Documentor and creates a slick report right in your database that you can just
open again any time right from the Database Window. You could customize the report even more to your
liking if you desire.

Once installed all you have to do is Tools | Add-Ins | John Viescas Table Documentor. Poof! After a
few seconds a slick report is displayed on the screen. In a nut shell the Add-In creates a new key
table in your database, loops through each table (including linked ones) grabbing the information
needed, writes all this information to the key table, creates the report entirely in code, saves it,
and then displays it on the screen for you. That report can be opened again at any time since it is
saved as a new report object in your database. Easy as pie!

I am awaiting word back from John about the possibility of having him post it on his web site where
anyone can download it. In the meantime I do not believe he would have a problem if I sent you a
copy. If you do wish to have a copy please let me know where you would like it sent to (please mung
the e-mail address so you won't get spammed). There is one version for Access 97 and one for 2000
which works with 2000, 2002, and 2003.

F

fredg

I need an easy way to print the field descriptions of a table I created.
"Easy" means no SQL involved, since I'm not very fluent with it.

Anybody know why this is so difficult? I thought I would be able to copy and
paste from table design view into a Word document, but copy isn't an option.
Ideally I would be able to print any time I update the description.

I really appreciate the assistance.

Did you try the Documenter?
Tools + Analyze + Documenter

Select the correct option.

G

Hi jeff,
I wouldn't mind having a copy of tha t myself. Would you mind?
(e-mail address removed)

Thanks
Rosco

J

Jeff Conrad

Hi Rosco,

No problem, a copy is being sent now.

You did not mention which version you needed so I sent both. Only install the 97 one if you are
using Access 97. If you are using Access 2000, 2002, or 2003 then install the 2000 one. Follow these
steps to install the Add-In:

1. Unzip the file JVTableList.MDA to your Office or Access directory to easily find it when we
install the Add-In.

2. Now open any Access database and go up to "Tools" on the main Access menu bar. From there go down
to the option called "Add-Ins". This sub-menu will list any installed Access add-ins on your system,
as well as an option called "Add-In Manager". Click on the option called "Add-In Manager" and a new
screen will appear.

3. The box will display a list of available add-ins on the left side. Depending upon where you
unzipped the add-in file, you may see the John Viescas Table Documentor already listed in this box.
If the file is listed, click on the option to highlight it and then press the "Install" button to
complete the installation. There should now be a little "x" next to the option meaning it has now
been installed. If you do not see the add-in listed in this box simply click the button called "Add
New..." where you can browse for the location of the file. Once you find the file and click on it in
the browse window, you will be taken back to the Add-In Manager screen. Now you should see our
add-in listed in the box with a "x" by it meaning it has been successfully installed. If not,
highlight the option and then press the "Install" button to complete the installation. Hit the
"Close" button on the Add-In Manager when finished. That's it, now we're ready to use the utility!

4. To launch the add-in, simply open any database you wish to document and go up to Tools | Add-Ins
and click on the new option "John Viescas Table Documentor". Depending upon the number of tables in
your database (and whether they are linked or not), the utility should only take a few seconds to
create the report and display it on the screen. Once on screen you can either print the report or
just view the different pages. The utility creates a new report object in your database called
"rptzvTableFields" and a new table called "zvTableFields". If you wish to view the report again, you
can simply open the report in the Database Window or re-run the add-in utility if you have
added/changed/deleted new fields and/or tables. You can delete these database objects if you do not
wish to have them in your database.

Please post back to the newsgroup when you receive the files and if you have any problems . The
e-mail was being sent from a "dump" e-mail account and will not be checked if a reply is sent. The
only way I will know if you received the files is through the newsgroup.

Hope you find it useful.

G

Thanks Jeff, I got them.
Much appreciated
Rosco

Jeff Conrad said:
Hi Rosco,

You did not mention which version you needed so I sent both. Only install the 97 one if you are
using Access 97. If you are using Access 2000, 2002, or 2003 then install the 2000 one. Follow these
steps to install the Add-In:

1. Unzip the file JVTableList.MDA to your Office or Access directory to easily find it when we
install the Add-In.

2. Now open any Access database and go up to "Tools" on the main Access menu bar. From there go down
to the option called "Add-Ins". This sub-menu will list any installed Access add-ins on your system,
as well as an option called "Add-In Manager". Click on the option called "Add-In Manager" and a new
screen will appear.

3. The box will display a list of available add-ins on the left side. Depending upon where you
unzipped the add-in file, you may see the John Viescas Table Documentor already listed in this box.
If the file is listed, click on the option to highlight it and then press the "Install" button to
complete the installation. There should now be a little "x" next to the option meaning it has now
been installed. If you do not see the add-in listed in this box simply click the button called "Add
New..." where you can browse for the location of the file. Once you find the file and click on it in
the browse window, you will be taken back to the Add-In Manager screen. Now you should see our
add-in listed in the box with a "x" by it meaning it has been successfully installed. If not,
highlight the option and then press the "Install" button to complete the installation. Hit the
"Close" button on the Add-In Manager when finished. That's it, now we're ready to use the utility!

4. To launch the add-in, simply open any database you wish to document and go up to Tools | Add-Ins
and click on the new option "John Viescas Table Documentor". Depending upon the number of tables in
your database (and whether they are linked or not), the utility should only take a few seconds to
create the report and display it on the screen. Once on screen you can either print the report or
just view the different pages. The utility creates a new report object in your database called
"rptzvTableFields" and a new table called "zvTableFields". If you wish to view the report again, you
can simply open the report in the Database Window or re-run the add-in utility if you have
added/changed/deleted new fields and/or tables. You can delete these database objects if you do not

Please post back to the newsgroup when you receive the files and if you have any problems . The
e-mail was being sent from a "dump" e-mail account and will not be checked if a reply is sent. The
only way I will know if you received the files is through the newsgroup.

Hope you find it useful.

J

Jeff Conrad

Sure Yoong, I'd be happy to send a copy.

Do you need the 97 version or the 2000 version which works for 2000, 2002, and 2003?
Where would you like the file sent? Please mung your e-mail address so you do not get spammed.

J

Jeff Conrad

Hi Yoong,

No problem, a copy is being sent now. I sent it to the address listed in your posts.
I hope that is the correct address.
Follow these steps to install the Add-In:

install the Add-In.

screen will appear.

Please post back to the newsgroup when you receive the file and if you have any problems . The
only way I will know if you received the file is through the newsgroup.

Hope you find it useful.

Y

Yoong Hor Meng

Hi Jeff:

I tried just now and it is good. Thank.
One question, I display empty page (with 'ok') on top on each even page.
Any idea?

Regards
Yoong

J

Jeff Conrad

Hi Yoong,

Glad you received the file OK. I'm a little confused by the issue you are seeing. Are you saying
that every other page of the report is blank? You mentioned seeing the work "OK" on the top of every
page. That should not be happening at all, but maybe I am misinterpreting what you have said.

You may be seeing an issue that has already been reported to me. The page numbers at the top right
of each page will usually say #Error when you run the add-in. However, if you immediately print the
report OR close the report and re-open from the Database Window, the pages numbers appear just fine.
I am aware of this peculiar issue. My best educated guess is that when you run the add-in, Access is
not quite sure how many pages are in the entire report so #Error is displayed. It prints just fine
so I believe it is a timing issue when launched from the add-in.

If that is not what you are seeing please describe in greater detail what is happening on the report
and I'll try to assist.
Thanks for the feedback.

J

Jeff Conrad

Hi,

I'm having some e-mail problems so please post back HERE if you receive it OR if you do not.
Follow these steps to install the Add-In:

install the Add-In.

screen will appear.

Please post back to the newsgroup when you receive the file and if you have any problems . The
only way I will know if you received the file is through the newsgroup.

Hope you find it useful.

G

Got it, no problem. In unzipped fine and I used it right away. Thanks for
making it so simple!

G

Hi Allen Browne,

I followed this thread because I have the same issue, I want to document
tables in my database in a simple format, with the field descriptions
included. I tried the code from your tips page. After getting the DAO
reference set up correctly it seems to run successfully. However, after
typing TableInfo (abc) in my immediate window, I am getting the error " table
doesn't exist"

The code is in a module. I am typing the table name exactly as it is named.
The fact that the strTableName is not getting placed before the error
message tells me that it is not getting successfully passed. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Nicole

G

Jeff,

May I have a copy of the table documentor add in?
nedwards@nospam_labyrinth.net

Thank you,

Nicole

D

Douglas J. Steele

Since TableInfo is a function, try putting a question mark in front of it,
or else use Call TableInfo()

What's abc? If that's the name of the table, it needs to be in quotes :
?TableInfo("abc")

Ask a Question