Preserve data integrity??

Jose

Hi All,

What can you possibly do, with 1 hdd, in any Windows flavour, to
preserve integrity of your data?

Is there any way, that if a part of your hdd gets corrupted, the
system is able to reconstruct the data in that corrupted part?

My system has RAID 1, and now and then I have a annoying problem that
this or that app won't boot up properly. I do nothing about it, and
the next day, it works just fine... Why??

The way I understand it, RAID 5 would be able to solve my initial
problem, correct?

Other than that, what my best with only 1 hdd - in case I decide to
get a notebook?

And for the time being, while I'm still stuck with my desktop, what
else can I do besides using RAID 1, as I already do?

TIA,
Jose

Folkert Rienstra

Jose wrote in news:[email protected]
Hi All,

What can you possibly do, with 1 hdd, in any Windows flavour, to
preserve integrity of your data?

Keep your system in perfect running order.
Is there any way, that if a part of your hdd gets corrupted, the
system is able to reconstruct the data in that corrupted part?

My system has RAID 1, and now and then I have a annoying problem that
this or that app won't boot up properly. I do nothing about it, and
the next day, it works just fine... Why??
The way I understand it, RAID 5 would be able to solve my initial
problem, correct?
Nope.

Other than that, what my best with only 1 hdd - in case I decide to
get a notebook?

And for the time being, while I'm still stuck with my desktop, what
else can I do besides using RAID 1, as I already do?

What exactly makes you think your drive(s) have anything to do with it.
Drives do not corrupt data.

Arno Wagner

Previously Jose said:
What can you possibly do, with 1 hdd, in any Windows flavour, to
preserve integrity of your data?
Is there any way, that if a part of your hdd gets corrupted, the
system is able to reconstruct the data in that corrupted part?
My system has RAID 1, and now and then I have a annoying problem that
this or that app won't boot up properly. I do nothing about it, and
the next day, it works just fine... Why??
The way I understand it, RAID 5 would be able to solve my initial
problem, correct?

Raid 5 with two disks is the same (practially) as RAID1.
Best bet is probably to get a good quality RAID1 controller
or to do software RAID (my preference). If you have an
on-board RAID controller, these are often pretty bad.
Other than that, what my best with only 1 hdd - in case I decide to
get a notebook?

Well, in theroy you can do software RAID1 with partitions.
If the disk dies, this will not hekp, though.
And for the time being, while I'm still stuck with my desktop, what
else can I do besides using RAID 1, as I already do?

Not much. Regular backups come to mind.

Arno

Jose

Raid 5 with two disks is the same (practially) as RAID1.

I understand that RAID 5 requires at least 3 hdd, and if that would be
the answer to my problems, I'd be willing to get 3 hdd, and a RAID 5
controler.

So, this time assuming I'd be using 3 hdd, would RAID 5 be of help? If
still not, any other RAID solution?

Best bet is probably to get a good quality RAID1 controller
or to do software RAID (my preference). If you have an
on-board RAID controller, these are often pretty bad.

I'm using an Asus onboard controler for RAID 1. At this stage, I'm
more into planning my next machine, rather considering upgrading this
one.

Well, in theroy you can do software RAID1 with partitions.

I suppose that would only cover for physical damage in parttion 1,
correct?

I guess I'd prefer regular backups, and a mirror to an external drive
once a week, or something like that.

Thanks,
Jose