Predicament de la Gabriella!

Reaction score
Earlier today i recieved a private message from Gabriella. She is in quite a predicament as has an error message when loading the desktop. I shall copy the message into this thread and hope you guys can come up with a quick solution for her...

Dear Chris

I am stuck with something.... every time I log onto my PC it comes up with the message:

error loading c:\windows\DownloadedProgramfiles\bridge.dll

the specified module could not be found

This message appeared over the week-end and I haven't the foggiest what it is or how to get rid of it....

Any brainwaves?

Kind regards

Gabriella x
then after i replied saying it sounds like its from a program that likes to load on startup and also i asked if anything was misbehaving apart from the error, i recieved this second message...

Dear Chris

No, everything seems to be ok, I cannot find this file anythwhere and do not know what it is, where it came from etc....

Perhaps MT have infiltrated my system (just joking!)

Will continue to fiddle, there must be some explanation somewhere!
This post now officially belongs to Gabriella although it's in my name...
Good luck!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This sounds suspiciously like some sort of spyware/adware loading on system startup.

I'd download AdAware - a free spyware remover:

http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button

If you run this (but be sure to update it once installed) it should detect any nasty programs that will load on startup and hopefully remove them. If that doesn't fix it, let us know and we'll try and find out what is causing it!

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Thanx Chris and Ian

I have downloaded and will keep an eye on it and get back 2 u if it continues....

Gabriella x

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear all

It's been quite a day...I work for a national company with 000s of employees and guess what, they 4got to pay us 2day. We are assured that our salaried will be paid 2morro. What is the world coming to?

Tired, poor etc....

Gabriella x

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Thanx Chris

Did as Ian suggested and downloaded and updated the above after installation, guess what...the little darling is still there...I wonder what it is..where it has come from and how do I zap it 4 good?

Going 2 bed now and I will start again 2morro witn enough money to go to Tescos (if my empoyers come good and pay me!) and probably enough brain power to try to zap the elusive error message.

Night night

Gabriella x

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Re: This may help other Ad-Aware users

How to Set-up a CUSTOM SCAN:

Ad-Aware 6 comes pre-configured with default options that are already ON (green checkmark) ... do not change them.

The following are changes that you will need to make to prepare the "Full" custom scan that is recommended for the first look into your computer (instead of a red "x", you will make them a green "checkmark"):
Launch the program, and click on the Gear at the top of the start screen to access the preferences/setting window.
Click the "Scanning" button.
Under Drives & Folders, select "Scan within Archives".
Click "Click here to select Drives + folders" and select your installed hard drives.
Under Memory & Registry, select all options.
Click the "Advanced" button.
Under "Log-file detail", select all options.
Click the "Tweaks" button.
Under "Scanning Engine", select the following:
"Include additional Ad-aware settings in logfile" and
"Unload recognized processes during scanning."
Under "Cleaning Engine", select the following:
"Let Windows remove files in use after reboot."
Click on 'Proceed' to save these Preferences.

When you are finished, you will be using the Custom Scan with Memory and Both registry scans ON. Please make sure that you activate IN-DEPTH scanning before you proceed.

NOTE: In the free Personal version of A-A, you will notice that some options are greyed out ... these settings are only available for users of the purchased Plus and Professional versions of the program. For the Full Scan setup instructions for the Plus or Professional versions, or if you have previously changed your settings in the Personal version, see this thread: http://www.lavahelp.com/howto/fullscan/index.html

After you have set up these options, be sure to choose "Custom Scan" not "Smart Scan" and choose next.

:D

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear fellow readers and writers

I have to confess...I am completely lost here. The present situation is that I downloaded etc... AdAware as Ian/Chris suggested and it ithe start up message is still appearing. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the PC but I would like to get rid of this annoying message.

Thi is getting a wee bit technical for me and I don't want to set about doing something that I am not at all sure about. Please would it be possible to give me an idiot's guide to what it is and how to permanently get rid of it (and/or anything else I should do).

Please bear with me and thanx for your patience!

Gabriella x

Reaction score
ok do any of you guys think it could be a program that starts on startup?

if so it could be disabled using the msconfig command...

if you guys think it might be, i will make gabriella a series of screenshots showing what needs to be done...

just a though...what yall think?

muckshifter

Reaction score
How to configure Ad-Aware ... with pictures. ;)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=48

The problem using MSCONFIG or CAD is what are you looking for?

The other problem with gabriella's system is that "bridge.dll" does not exist, but the program that's trying to "call" it does ... we need to eliminate the 'little nastie' that is trying to "call" bridge.dll

Configuring Ad-aware 'correctly' should do the job for you ... starting Windows in "safe mode" and then running Ad-aware will also help.

Another 'nifty' little "tool" is Stinger ... again, start windows in "safe mode", pressing F8 key while your computer is booting, then run Stinger.

It's also a good idea to "turn off System Restore", you will loose all/any restore points but it will ensure its not 'hiding' in there.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
It's also a good idea to "turn off System Restore", you will loose all/any restore points but it will ensure its not 'hiding' in there.
That's very good advice, imo. That's the only way I managed to get rid of one little bugger recently.

And you can always turn it on again should you so desire afterwards, when the troubles have gone.

Reaction score
i've had a startup error relating to bridge.dll before, i believe it's created by a trojan, when something like ad-aware or av software removes it it leaves the reference to this file in msconfig, just disable it in the startup section of msconfig, and if you really want to remove the reference just delete the registry entry.

James

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a tutorial i made you Gabriella that teaches you how to use the msconfig thing with 3 simple screenshots. When Mr. Cunningham updates the attachment allowance i shall upload them and you can have a butchers...

Chris

muckshifter

Reaction score
Christopher...

People that know me here know what I’m going to say …

MSCONFIG is only to be used as a diagnostic tool, you should only use it to “temp” turn off/disable to “see if” scenario it will NOT cure the problem.

If it will help people understand “how to” then Email me your tutorial and if it’s any good I’ll ‘host’ it for you.

Finding and using “tools” to do the job for you is one of my “fortes” though it is getting harder & harder to find them as the Malware fraternity are getting more & more devious.

Most malware is contracted in the form of a “Trojan” and most people do not use a “Trojan Scanner” because most Trojan scanners require ‘payment’ … however, there is one that is highly regarded, and free for personal use, its called a2 (a squared) get your copy HERE

I don’t know if it will help gabriella but it’s worth the effort to register (that’s free also) and at least add another level of “protection” to your system.
:D

Reaction score
What i mean is that using Msconfig would be perectly fine to use so long as the program is not malicious in anyway.

Of course if its a trojan horse of some kind then its not gone for good.

Mr Cunningham says he will increase the file size limit shortly.

Reaction score
mucks usually makes this point, what he's getting at is that msconfig is a diagnosic tool to help diagnose issues within windows, it isn't intended to be a permanent solution or fix to a problem.

Reaction score
hmmm...a2 was scanning the computer and half way through norton picked up and removed a keystroke trojan whilst a2 picked up nothing. Fishy.

muckshifter

Reaction score
No program or security you install or manage is perfect ... But I will guarantee computers will go wrong.

;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The file size limit should have been increased now if you wanted to upload it. What file type was it?

I partially agree with the MSConfig not solving the problem 100%, but I must admit I use it myself quite often to fix things like this. ;)

Ask a Question