"*.pps is not a valid Win32 application" error message

RaeWeniger

When I try to open a .pps file attached to an email message in Windows Mail
the following error message is returned: "*.pps is not a valid Win32
application" I am using Windows Powerpoint Viewer 2007, and if the file is
saved to the hard drive, I can open it just fine by launching the viewer and
searching through the many pps files.....but I want to open attachments from
Windows Mail!!!

RaeWeniger

Gary, thanks but this link returns 'ads only' on Ramesh's home page. He did
have a post that I was hopeful about (which didn't work), and he has sent
another round of advice that did not work either......but I am staying
hopeful that he or some other smarter-than-Vista genius out there will have a
puzzle piece for me! Thanks for your response

:>Rae

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Ray, The database server was temporarily down at that time, and it's working now after restarting the VDS. Did you receive my mail today (sent 3 hrs ago)?

Gary, thanks but this link returns 'ads only' on Ramesh's home page. He did
have a post that I was hopeful about (which didn't work), and he has sent
another round of advice that did not work either......but I am staying
hopeful that he or some other smarter-than-Vista genius out there will have a
puzzle piece for me! Thanks for your response

:>Rae

RaeWeniger

got it, ran the report you requested and sent that on to you. Thanks for
checking into this so persistently!

:>Rae

Ramesh said:
Ray, The database server was temporarily down at that time, and it's working now after restarting the VDS. Did you receive my mail today (sent 3 hrs ago)?

Gary, thanks but this link returns 'ads only' on Ramesh's home page. He did
have a post that I was hopeful about (which didn't work), and he has sent
another round of advice that did not work either......but I am staying
hopeful that he or some other smarter-than-Vista genius out there will have a
puzzle piece for me! Thanks for your response

:>Rae

RaeWeniger

VERY strange....I see two 'ads by Google' bars, and now that Ramesh's server
is running again, even with the help posts, the google ad bars are still
there.

:>Rae

Gary VanderMolen

My IE7 browser shows no ads, thanks to the ad-blocking IE7Pro add-on,
while my unadorned Firefox browser does show two small Google ads.
Frankly, they were so unobtrusive that I hardly noticed them.

RaeWeniger

Ramesh - you are the best!! *Happy Dance * happening here! I thought to
check default programs after I read another post and under " associate a file
type with a program..." found that .pps was associated with 2007 Microsoft
Office Componnent and NOT 2007 Power Point Viewer.....once I correected
that....PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! (as a note of interest, all the other .pp* file
types in the list were correctly associated!)

Thanks

:>Rae

Ramesh said:
Ray, The database server was temporarily down at that time, and it's working now after restarting the VDS. Did you receive my mail today (sent 3 hrs ago)?

Gary, thanks but this link returns 'ads only' on Ramesh's home page. He did
have a post that I was hopeful about (which didn't work), and he has sent
another round of advice that did not work either......but I am staying
hopeful that he or some other smarter-than-Vista genius out there will have a
puzzle piece for me! Thanks for your response

:>Rae

Gary VanderMolen

Open the Default Programs applet, which you can access either from
the Start menu or via the Control Panel, then click the second selection:
"Associate a file type..."
After a few seconds, a list of file types comes up. Scroll down to .pps.
Select it, then click "Change program". The rest is obvious.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"JoeDeath" wrote in message

"Ramesh - you are the best!! *Happy Dance * happening here! I thought
check default programs after I read another post and under " associate a
file
type with a program..." found that .pps was associated with 2007
Microsoft
Office Componnent and NOT 2007 Power Point Viewer.....once I correected
that....PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! (as a note of interest, all the other .pp*
file
types in the list were correctly associated!)"

How exactly did you correct that? This is the only part I'm having
problems with lol

Thanks
Joe

Gary VanderMolen

I don't have the free Viewer installed (since I have PowerPoint) so
I can't tell you the exact path, but it would be somewhere under
C:\Program Files\...

Another option is to reinstall the Viewer:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...40-14E1-467D-8DCA-19D2A8FD7485&displaylang=en

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"JoeDeath" wrote in message

Not really that obvious as I found out, I'm probably using the wrong
file path to find it since the best I got was 2007 Microsoft Office
Componnent and it wont work >.< 2007 Power Point Viewer isn't listed
though it is installed

Can you please tell me what file path to use to get to it?

Gary VanderMolen

This is for PowerPoint 2010 installed on my Windows 7 computer:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 14\POWERPNT.EXE

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"JoeDeath" wrote in message

Ok, so PowerPoint works? That might actually be easier, can you tell me
what the file path is for Power Point?

Thanks again lol

Gary VanderMolen

The Office12 directory is correct for Office 2007.
I don't have a PPTVIEW.EXE, so assume that is the free viewer.
You really don't need both the viewer and the actual PowerPoint
executable.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"JoeDeath" wrote in message

Mine's under Office12 since there's no 14 but I doubt that'd be a
problem, there's two .exe I was looking at, POWERPNT.EXE and
PPTVIEW.EXE, would the second one be the viewer? I don't have the Viewer
installed on this laptop so I thought I'd ask

Gary VanderMolen

Yes, a newly installed program will usually assign to itself all the
file types it is capable of handling.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"JoeDeath" wrote in message

Actually that leads me to a question, if I reinstall it will it change
the file association?

Gary VanderMolen

Good to hear you got it working to your satisfaction.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"JoeDeath" wrote in message

Problem solved!

PPTVIEW.exe sets it as a slideshow and plays the file
POWERPNT.exe shows it in editing

After using the registry fix, then changing the association to
PPTVIEW.exe using the filepath for Office (which was 12 on Vista instead
of 14 which is 7 apparently). Once I set the association it worked again