Pprekop.exe error solution

D

Don

I have previously posted regarding the event viewer error which is logged at the startup of Party Poker which shows as follows:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 2/13/2007
Time: 9:36:53 AM
User: N/A
Computer: DONS-HAVASU2007
Description:
Faulting application pprekop.exe, version 4.2.0.172, faulting module
ole32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2182, fault address 0x10017bed.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 6d 00 6b 00 63 00 4b 00 m.k.c.K.
0008: 64 00 35 00 32 00 36 00 d.5.2.6.
0010: 37 00 76 00 55 00 71 00 7.v.U.q.
0018: 70 p

I have now discovered that this error is somehow related to one or more of the microsoft updates for win xp. I have been chasing this problem for many months and no one has been able to help. I have just discovered the connection by doing a full format (for the 3rd time) on my hard drive and then reinstalling my win xp home edition ... with checks along the way for the error. I have not yet isolated the exact cause but today found the relationship by upgrading 2 older machines to win xp (with no previous errors - and party poker already installed). After the upgrade (both machines had Win ME installed), I updated both machines via the microsoft update site .. and then discovered that both now produce the exact same error message whenever party poker is started. My wife's machine is also running win xp but does not have all the KB updates installed (service pack 2 & IE 7 are installed but not all the rest of the KBs). Her machine does not show the error when party poker is started. I just checked and there are 10 critical updates waiting for download. She does have IE 7 installed and running fine. Her machine is also still using the "windows update" and not the "microsoft update". Fortunately (for the sake of diagnostics in this issue) her machine has not yet installed all the updates. The updates waiting to be installed (which I suspect one is to blame for the error described) are - KB926436, KB931836, KB890830. KB928255, KB928843, KB927802, KB928090, KB924667, KB927779, KB918118. I do not know how or why this error is generated but I have strong suspicions that one is somehow causing the event to be logged. Party Poker has also been notified and they too are working on a solution. The pprekop.exe application cited in the error message logged does not show up in any way, shape or form on any of the machines or registries - after detailed searches into all hidden and system folders .. etc. Party Poker does contain a poker.bin file which I have not been able to examine... and could be part of the problem. The fact that the error does not show up until the OS is updated, only points fingers back to the update process ... IMHO -in my humble opinion.

There are also 3 optional updates which would be possibilities. They are KB928416, Root Certificate (enables EV certs in IE 7) and KB925876.

In her history of updates are the following (most recent first): KB890830(for Jan), KB929969, KB925398, KB926255, KB923694, KB890830(for Dec), KB922770 ....etc. Her history goes back form there with the previous KB updates.

I have sent the error issues to party poker but wanted to post this here since it has been impossible for me to get any answers. I would like to see this sent on to MS for their KB since it has shown up on internet searches I have run while trying to figure it out. I AM NOT ALONE in this matter and others may have experienced my frustration .. and be relieved to learn this.

I would list my system features but since this is not limited to only my computer, and the variables on the other systems are diverse ... I see no point at this time.

Don
Computer Services
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403
"I'll quit learning when they close the lid on my coffin"

R

Rock

Don said:
I have previously posted regarding the event viewer error which is logged
at the startup of Party Poker which shows > as follows:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 2/13/2007
Time: 9:36:53 AM
User: N/A
Computer: DONS-HAVASU2007
Description:
Faulting application pprekop.exe, version 4.2.0.172, faulting module
ole32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2182, fault address 0x10017bed.

I have sent the error issues to party poker but wanted to post this here
since it has been impossible for me to get any > answers. I would like to
see this sent on to MS for their KB since it has shown up on internet
searches I have run
while trying to figure it out. I AM NOT ALONE in this matter and others
may have experienced my frustration .. and > be relieved to learn this.

<snip>

This is a peer to peer newsgroup, all the posters are volunteers. This is
not official MS support. If you want to communicate this info to MS contact
them through one of the standard channels.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/contactbug

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?WS=Wish

https://support.microsoft.com/commo...m/results.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&q=wish

D

Don

Thanks for the reply and I will submit it to the links you provided. Part of
my reason for posting it here is that so many people check here when they
can't find answers elsewhere (just like I did in this same issue). By
posting this, I feel someone may be able to find some answers that are found
nowhere else.

D

Don

As a follow up on my call via the link Rock provided, the man form India who
almost spoke english, tried to get me to pay $59.00 for a support issue on
this bug report. Then while I was waiting to speak with a technician, I was