Powerpoint ponderance

Brett

Good Afternoon,

I was just called by someone at my church and they had
a question for me that I did not know the answer to. We
run our songs and the sermon notes using Powerpoint. The
questions was this: During the course of a running
presentation, how could you flash a number up on the
screen to alert a parent that their child is having an
issue in the nursery? Any suggestions or ideas, please let
me know.

Thanks

Glen Millar

Brett,

Err, you could teach the children to sit through the sermon? <grin>.

I don't think this can be done in PowerPoint. Sorry.

Glen Millar
Microsoft PPT MVP
http://www.powerpointworkbench.com/
Please tell us your ppt version, and get back to us here
Remove spaces from signature
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com

Kathryn Jacobs

This request has come up before. Link to the previous discussion is:
http://tinyurl.com/39so8
(I've tinied it to avoid word wrap.)

Suggestions made in the past include everything from additional software
(Sunday Plus) to a low tech solution of a piece of transparency with the
number on it held up in front of the projector.

--
Kathryn Jacobs, Microsoft PPT MVP
If this helped you, please take the time to rate the value of this post:

Kurt

Hi Brett,
Maybe I have a solution for you. With www.take-off.as/datapoint you can link
your presentation to excel files and databases. Then you can put a linked
text box on your slide (probably all slides: copy and paste). This text box
is then linked to an access database that is fed by someone of the nursery.
Also with that access database you define how long a number is displayed OR
that a number is displayed until the parent showed up in the nursery.
It's maybe not the cheapest solution, but it works.

Best regards
Kurt.

If you are running in single screen mode, I do not know of a solution for
you, but ...

If you run your church's PowerPoint in dual screen mode, you should be able
to ...

Jump out of the live show
Make a Text box with the name/number/text in it.
Change background and text appearance
Place it where you want on the next slide to be shown
Copy it
Paste it on the next 1-3 slides
Jump back into the live show

I can do this is about 10 seconds, but then I've had a little practice. In
this amount of time, there should not be a problem with falling behind on
the slide advances.

If you think that a special "ticker tape" should become part of PowerPoint,
then take a minute to let MS know that it is important to you and why.

===============
Please spend a few minutes checking vestprog2@
out www.pptfaq.com This link will yahoo.
answer most of our questions, before com
you think to ask them.

Change org to com to defuse anti-spam,
ant-virus, anti-nuisance misdirection.
..
..

Steve Rindsberg

I'd be inclined to find an old slide projector and make a set of slides to fill
the tray; first slide has the number 1 in the corner .. last slide has 80 in
the corner.

Spin the slide tray to the number you want, turn on the light.

Ideally, the slides would be made on what's called "Kodalith" film. Very high
contrast, pure clear film on pure black background.

Jeff Volz

We use a method at our church very similar to the one shown below...
We use Sunday Plus (S+) for the song lyrics and PPT for the sermon
outline, both in dual-screen mode. The nursery alert in S+ is a black
box w/white letters in the lower, left hand corner. So when we prepare
the PPT file for the sermon, the second to last slide has only that
day's background graphic and a text box formatted to look like the S+
nursery alert. (the last slide is always the background graphic w/no
text... if we get lost, we just hit "end" to blank the text until we
can find our place again) When a nursery number is sent to our booth,
we:

*Jump out of the live show
*Choose Slide Sorter view and double-click on the second to last slide
*Type the number into the text box
*Jump back into the live show
*Type in the slide number and hit enter

This will bring up the appropriate slide. We usually leave it up for
15-20 seconds, and then jump back to our original slide. About 75% of
the time this is sufficient. If no one responds, we occasionally jump
back to it every minute or so, until someone responds. The advantage
to both of these methods is that they're FRRE! We demo'd Gabriel,
which is a little pop up program that does the same thing, but since
the number of steps were about the same, we didn't keep it after the
free trial expired.

Try both methods and see what works for you...everyone has different
needs.

Jeff