Posts just not showwing up

Jimmy

Again or still I am having this problem. Very hard to trace but many of my
posts are just not showing up. I can not view one in particular from Agent
or OE6 but I can see my response from Google http://tinyurl.com/67nyg

I am trying Comcast's server and MSN news server and still the only way I
can read the thread is with Google. From Comcast server I see the original
post with no response. From MSN server I can not even see the OP.

I am failing to understand how this whole thing works and wonder why
different and sometimes missing posts appear from one server to another.

Thanks to anyone that can shed some light on this matters.

J.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Jimmy said:
Again or still I am having this problem. Very hard to trace but many
of my posts are just not showing up. I can not view one in particular
from Agent or OE6 but I can see my response from Google
http://tinyurl.com/67nyg

I am trying Comcast's server and MSN news server and still the only
way I can read the thread is with Google. From Comcast server I see
the original post with no response. From MSN server I can not even
see the OP.

I am failing to understand how this whole thing works and wonder why
different and sometimes missing posts appear from one server to
another.

Thanks to anyone that can shed some light on this matters.

J.

By MSN, do you mean msnews.microsoft.com? That's what I use, and I rarely if
ever have issues with missing posts. Also, try compacting your OE files.

If this doesn't help, try posting in an Outlook Express group (for OE
issues, obviously).

Gordon

Jimmy said:
Again or still I am having this problem. Very hard to trace but many of my
posts are just not showing up. I can not view one in particular from Agent
or OE6 but I can see my response from Google http://tinyurl.com/67nyg

I am trying Comcast's server and MSN news server and still the only way I
can read the thread is with Google. From Comcast server I see the original
post with no response. From MSN server I can not even see the OP.

I am failing to understand how this whole thing works and wonder why
different and sometimes missing posts appear from one server to another.

Thanks to anyone that can shed some light on this matters.

J.
Try setting up msnews.microsoft.com as your news server in OE. That will
give you the whole 9 yards.

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Just waiting for Broadband to complete the conversion!(3 weeks and

Gerry Cornell

Jimmy

Does this happens if you post direct and not through supernews.com?

Add MS News Server to your OE with news://msnews.microsoft.com/

Double click on the links above to open an account and add this
newsgroup to the account. Right click on the newsgroup name in the
folder list and select subscribe. If you place the cursor on
msnews.microsoft.com in the folder list and select Tools, Newsgroups
this gives you access to the newsgroup list from which you may select
and subscribe further Microsoft newsgroups.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/oe/newsgroups.asp

Also try View, Current View, Show Replies to my messages.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jimmy

Gordon said:
Try setting up msnews.microsoft.com as your news server in OE. That
will give you the whole 9 yards.

I have this set up already along with Comcast's newsgroups.comcast.net. It
seems that with msnews I am missing posts from 1/29/05 to 2/4/05 while not
so with comcasts group. All is well using Agent this time so it appears it
must be an OE6 issue. Maybe...

J.

Jimmy

Gerry said:
Jimmy

Does this happens if you post direct and not through supernews.com?

I don't understand what you mean by directly. I only know how to post the
way I am with OE or Agent. I have not tried to post through Google.
Add MS News Server to your OE with news://msnews.microsoft.com/

Double click on the links above to open an account and add this
newsgroup to the account. Right click on the newsgroup name in the
folder list and select subscribe. If you place the cursor on
msnews.microsoft.com in the folder list and select Tools, Newsgroups
this gives you access to the newsgroup list from which you may select
and subscribe further Microsoft newsgroups.

I believe I have this already set up.

Jimmy

Gerry said:
Jimmy

Does this happens if you post direct and not through supernews.com?

Add MS News Server to your OE with news://msnews.microsoft.com/

Double click on the links above to open an account and add this
newsgroup to the account. Right click on the newsgroup name in the
folder list and select subscribe. If you place the cursor on
msnews.microsoft.com in the folder list and select Tools, Newsgroups
this gives you access to the newsgroup list from which you may select
and subscribe further Microsoft newsgroups.

Also Gerry. See if you can help me here. I see a post named 'How to list
users connected to a current machine' by O.B. dated 2/4/2005 5:47 PM. This
posts appears to me not to have any response while my response does appear
in Google. Do you get the same view as I do? Meaning-Do you also see this
message with no response while seeing it with my response in Google to?

J.

Gerry Cornell

Jimmy

Place the cursor on the offending newsgroup and right click. Select
Properties, Local File, and Reset. Then try downloading the messages
again.

The way you synchronise ( download messages ) needs to suit you.
However, when you set up a new newsgroup check the box in Tools,
Options, Read, Get xxx headers at a time (you can change the default to
any number between 50 and 999). Set the synchronisation to New not All.
Then select Tools, Get next xxx headers, after downloading has completed
select Tools, Mark for Offline and then select Synchronise, Newsgroup
and only those Marked. Remove the check mark in Tools, Options, Read,
Get xxx headers at a time. For all future downloads use Synchronise,
preferably Synchronise All. Using the procedure described for a large
newsgroup avoids downloading thousands of messages you may never read.

Another option if you read Online is to make your Synchronisation option
Headers only. You then select and download bodies for only those
messages you intend to read. Yet another alternative if you read
Offline, is to use Headers only and then to Mark selected Headers whilst
Offline and then Synchronise for marked messages reading the selected
messages later Offline.

http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe/

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gerry Cornell

Jimmy

In what newsgroup or forum does the message appear?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gerry said:
[...]

Ok, this seems to have cleared things up a bit. Now both sets of messages
seem to be the same. I will do some more reading to get a better
understanding of usenet post and newsgroups messages organization along with
compressing.

Thanks again.

J.

Gerry Cornell

Jimmy

Make sure the option to Compact Messages in Background in Tools,
Options, Maintenance is not checked. Always compact manually whilst
Offline.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gerry said:
Jimmy

In what newsgroup or forum does the message appear?

This group. Although I can now only view posts from 2/5/2005 1am to 2/5/2005
11am now that I have reset.

J.

Gerry Cornell

Jimmy

You can get the earlier messages by selecting Tools, Get New Headers. If
this function is set to download 999 it will first download new headers
and then the balance of 999 from before the earliest message you have
previously downloaded,. Place cursor on any message in newsgroup list
and select Tools, Mark for Offline, Download All Messages later to get
bodies for the headers.

'How to list users connected to a current machine' -your reply is listed
on my computer. Do you use the Watch message facility?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lanwench said:
By MSN, do you mean msnews.microsoft.com? That's what I use, and I
rarely if ever have issues with missing posts. Also, try compacting
your OE files.

If this doesn't help, try posting in an Outlook Express group (for OE
issues, obviously).

Thanks Lanwench. I am pretty sure it is OE and not the MSN group so I will
be off to a proper site.

J.

Jimmy

Gerry said:
Jimmy

You can get the earlier messages by selecting Tools, Get New Headers.
If this function is set to download 999 it will first download new
headers and then the balance of 999 from before the earliest message
you have previously downloaded,. Place cursor on any message in
newsgroup list and select Tools, Mark for Offline, Download All
Messages later to get bodies for the headers.

'How to list users connected to a current machine' -your reply is
listed on my computer. Do you use the Watch message facility?

I always use watch message option and the way it was displaying to me was
as it was unanswered. This problem has been lingering on my system for
sometime now as each time I think it has disappeared only to pop up one more
time. Sometimes a reply would disappear after a short time while other times
not showing up at all. Then other times everything is as it should be. I am
always looking for spyware and adware along with Trojans and anything else
that might me there.

J.

Jimmy

Gerry said:
Jimmy

There is a reported problem with Watched Messages, which for me has
caused controversy in the past. It has never affected me, perhaps
because my method of downloading is a little different from the norm
but other have reported the problem. Details are in the link , which
follows:

http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe/problems/bugs.htm#newsgone
See this section:
Some messages have nothing in the Account column
OE sometimes uses the wrong account when replying to a news message

Thanks again Gerry that link is very valuable. I have never had any usenet
problems in the several years of use. I thought it might have something to
do with WinXP Pro SP2 update but I don't see others with this difficulty.

J.