PostBack behaviour in IE vs. FF

F

Ferret Face

Is there a term for an individual who is half way between a Newby and a Novice?

Anyway, getting down to business...

I am trying to develop an on-line application form for my company's website. In it I have a number of 'Yes/No' or 'Select This Option' type questions where if an option is checked it will disable/enable another. I ended up using ClientScriptBlocks of JavaScript to accomplish this behaviour instead of an ASP.NET solution. Something like:
function Q8OngoingClicked(source)
{
//disable end date selections if ongoing is checked
var oMonth = document.getElementById('lstQ8EndMonth');
var oDate = document.getElementById('lstQ8EndDate');
var oYear = document.getElementById('lstQ8EndYear');
if (source.checked)
{
oMonth.disabled = true;
oDate.disabled = true;
oYear.disabled = true;
}
else
{
oMonth.disabled = false;
oDate.disabled = false;
oYear.disabled = false;
}
}<body><input id="chkQ8Ongoing" type="checkbox" name="chkQ8Ongoing" onclick="Q8OngoingClicked(this)" /></body> Now, this works fine (tested with IE6 and FF1.0.6). However, I have added a subroutine that checks each of the responses to see if they are valid before it submits to our database. It states something like, "Question X had an invalid response. Please press your back button to make corrections and re-submit." As some of the gurus of the group can guess when I test the form and press the back button those items that were once disabled are now enabled even if the first item (chkQ8Ongoing in the example above) is checked.

So, I tried an ASP.NET (VB.NET Framework 1.1) approach where I have a function like:

Private Sub Page_Load(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
If Me.IsPostBack Then
ReLoad()
End If
End Sub
Private Sub ReLoad()
If chkQ8Ongoing.Checked Then
lstQ8EndMonth.Enabled = False
Else
End If
End Sub

But this just ends up with an "Reference not set to an instance of an object" error condition. Then I went back to using StarupScript of JavaScript again like:

chkQ8Ongoing = document.getElementById('chkQ8Ongoing');
lstQ8EndMonth = document.getElementById('lstQ8EndMonth');
lstQ8EndDate = document.getElementById('lstQ8EndDate');
lstQ8EndYear = document.getElementById('lstQ8EndYear');
if (chkQ8Ongoing.checked)
{
lstQ8EndMonth.disabled = true;
lstQ8EndDate.disabled = true;
lstQ8EndYear.disabled = true;
}
else
{
lstQ8EndMonth.disabled = false;
lstQ8EndDate.disabled = false;
lstQ8EndYear.disabled = false;
}This works to disable items using Firefox but doesn't work in IE and I don't know why.

What am I missing?
Is there a way to do this purely in ASP.NET?

TIA...

C

clintonG

A Nobice? :)

I just found this [1] today and it may help you out.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
METROmilwaukee (sm) "A Regional Information Service"
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/
URL http://clintongallagher.metromilwaukee.com/

I am trying to develop an on-line application form for my company's website. In it I have a number of 'Yes/No' or 'Select This Option' type questions where if an option is checked it will disable/enable another. I ended up using ClientScriptBlocks of JavaScript to accomplish this behaviour instead of an ASP.NET solution. Something like:
{
if (source.checked)
{
oMonth.disabled = true;
oDate.disabled = true;
oYear.disabled = true;
}
else
{
oMonth.disabled = false;
oDate.disabled = false;
oYear.disabled = false;
}
}<body><input id="chkQ8Ongoing" type="checkbox" name="chkQ8Ongoing" onclick="Q8OngoingClicked(this)" /></body> Now, this works fine (tested with IE6 and FF1.0.6). However, I have added a subroutine that checks each of the responses to see if they are valid before it submits to our database. It states something like, "Question X had an invalid response. Please press your back button to make corrections and re-submit." As some of the gurus of the group can guess when I test the form and press the back button those items that were once disabled are now enabled even if the first item (chkQ8Ongoing in the example above) is checked.

So, I tried an ASP.NET (VB.NET Framework 1.1) approach where I have a function like:

Private Sub Page_Load(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
If Me.IsPostBack Then
ReLoad()
End If
End Sub
Private Sub ReLoad()
Else
End If
End Sub

But this just ends up with an "Reference not set to an instance of an object" error condition. Then I went back to using StarupScript of JavaScript again like:

{
}
else
{
}This works to disable items using Firefox but doesn't work in IE and I don't know why.

What am I missing?

TIA...

C

clintonG

Did I forget the URL?
http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/091405-1.aspx

<%= Clinton Gallagher

{
if (source.checked)
{
oMonth.disabled = true;
oDate.disabled = true;
oYear.disabled = true;
}
else
{
oMonth.disabled = false;
oDate.disabled = false;
oYear.disabled = false;
}

If Me.IsPostBack Then
ReLoad()
End If
End Sub
Private Sub ReLoad()
Else
End If
End Sub

{
}
else
{

What am I missing?

TIA...

Ask a Question