post GDI update problem

Marko

Last week I updated this Win2k system including the GDI detection tool
(KB973374). It sent me immediately to the office update, the reboot
notice for windows update got buried. So I rebooted after all the updates.

Then when I returned to windows update there were 3 additional critical
updates (KB841356, 840987, 841533). They downloaded, appeared to
install, then I get a failure notice. I try them one at a time or
together and they fail.

any ideas how to fix this?

TIA

--
Marko Jotic
"Common sense is anything but common".

Justin Turner [MSFT]

Hello Marko,

What is the error given for the failure? There is a log file that Windows
Update writes to that reports the status of the download and result of the
update process. The file is called "Windows Update.log" and will be in
your Windows directory. ie. C:\Windows or C:\Winnt This is the file that
you would look at if you wanted to troubleshoot the problem.
I noticed you said you tried installing them one at a time. Was this from
the Windows Update site, or did you download the updates manually and then
run the updates locally? If not, then you may give that a try.

Here are the links for the direct downloads of the updates that you
mentioned:

841356 is Security Bulletin number MS04-037
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-037.mspx

840987 is Security Bulletin number MS04-032
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-032.mspx

841533 is Security Bulletin number MS04-031
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-031.mspx

Please let me know if this helps you.
Thank you,

Justin Turner [MSFT]
Microsoft Corp.

Please do not send email directly to this alias. This
alias is for newsgroup purposes only.

--------------------
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:12:04 -0500
From: Marko <[email protected]>
Subject: post GDI update problem
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update

Last week I updated this Win2k system including the GDI detection tool
(KB973374). It sent me immediately to the office update, the reboot
notice for windows update got buried. So I rebooted after all the updates.

Then when I returned to windows update there were 3 additional critical
updates (KB841356, 840987, 841533). They downloaded, appeared to
install, then I get a failure notice. I try them one at a time or
together and they fail.

any ideas how to fix this?

TIA

--
Marko Jotic
"Common sense is anything but common".
From the notebooks of Lazarus Long. Robert A. Heinlein.
Handmade knives, antique designs, exotic materials at
http://www.knifeforging.com/

Marko

I get:
No Updates Were Installed
The following items failed to install. To try installing them again,
click Review and install updates, and then click Install Now again.
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB841356)
(there are three at the moment but I noticed others on other posts)

windowsupdate.log yields:
Error IUENGINE See iuhist.xml for details: Install finished
(Error 0x80072EFD)

iuhist.xml is chinese to me and have tried the solutions in KB836941

I have turned off the AV for this and my firewall is NAT in the router,
other computer on this router have no problems

also directx9c shows as installed on the log but shows up again on
update (another problem I have seen here)
[...]

From the notebooks of Lazarus Long. Robert A. Heinlein.
Handmade knives, antique designs, exotic materials at
http://www.knifeforging.com/

Justin Turner [MSFT]

Hello Marko,

As I understand, this is the configuration you have and the steps you have
tried:

You have a router that's performing NAT and other machines behind the
device are able to get updates fine.
You have verified that there are no bad entries for the Windows Update site
in your hosts file. (per KB836941)

There is no personal firewall software installed on this computer.
You have went through all the steps in 836941

Here are some suggestions:
1. Have you tried using msconfig in order to help you do a "clean" boot?

310353 How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
http://kb/article.asp?id=Q310353

-This article is for Windows XP, but you can copy the executable on to a
Windows 2000 machine.

2. Delete temporary internet files and restore the IE defaults

The 0x80072EFD error translates to Error_Internet_Cannot_connect -This is
why this is most commonly a firewall issue.

3. Try adding *.akamai.net to your trusted sites, or proxy exception list.

4. Did you try to manually download and install the updates from the links
I gave you?

5. Have you been able to download any other updates from the Windows Update
site recently? There should be a new one on there today.

I hope this helps.

Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 12:08:07 -0500
From: Marko <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: post GDI update problem
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update

[...]

From the notebooks of Lazarus Long. Robert A. Heinlein.
Handmade knives, antique designs, exotic materials at
http://www.knifeforging.com/

Marko

since I started this thread two weeks ago I posted on other groups, and
caused more problems: lost active x. when you responded I was fixing
that, I downloaded the patches, and ... forgot to run them

that fixed the problem, although those patches do not appear in windows
update's installation history

also directX 9.0c still installs successfully (several times in the
history) and reappears in windows update. I know this is another
problem, I am reading threads for similar problems.

I am answering your questions below because it points out how crazy this is
Hello Marko,

As I understand, this is the configuration you have and the steps you have
tried:

You have a router that's performing NAT and other machines behind the
device are able to get updates fine.
yes, in fact they downloaded, installed then only on the refresh of the
windows update web page did it show the error. Also, in between a new
update appeared for explorer that installed fine,. so its not a firewall
issue
You have verified that there are no bad entries for the Windows Update site
in your hosts file. (per KB836941) yes

There is no personal firewall software installed on this computer.
You have went through all the steps in 836941
yes except the last: I don't have a proxy server
Here are some suggestions:
1. Have you tried using msconfig in order to help you do a "clean" boot?
I tried in safe mode, I see this is different
310353 How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
http://kb/article.asp?id=Q310353

-This article is for Windows XP, but you can copy the executable on to a
Windows 2000 machine.

2. Delete temporary internet files and restore the IE defaults yes

The 0x80072EFD error translates to Error_Internet_Cannot_connect -This is
why this is most commonly a firewall issue.
but then the explorer update worked, ?!?!?!
3. Try adding *.akamai.net to your trusted sites, or proxy exception list. who is this?

4. Did you try to manually download and install the updates from the links
I gave you?
yes but like I said I forgot to run them, that is the real solution,
also for others posting (for other patches, same problem) on the other
windows update newsgroup
5. Have you been able to download any other updates from the Windows Update
site recently? There should be a new one on there today.
yes, I see you anticipated what happened
I hope this helps.

sure has
Thank you,

Justin Turner [MSFT]